Planting dutch iris bulbs

jardineratxNovember 1, 2011

I purchased a pkg of dutch iris bulbs at lowes and I'm looking around my garden beds trying to find where to plant them. I have had bearded iris and Louisiana iris in my garden for several years, and I know that the dutch iris are bulbs and not rhizomes, but I know nothing about their blooming and growth habits. Is the foliage evergreen? Do they return if left undisturbed? How long do they bloom? Are they sensitive to over/under watering? Any input from Texans' experiences with Dutch Iris is appreciated.

Thanks,

Molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

Molly, one of my first plants at our new house 40 years ago was Dutch Iris, it bloomed great, came back every year, I don't believe it was evergreen. When the area slowly became shady they quit blooming, so I dug them up a few years ago and moved them into a "storage" area, they come up but don't bloom; I plan to replant them in my new sunny flowerbed and hope they make a comback.

A really pretty Iris in my opinion!

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 7:50AM
jardineratx

Thanks for the information, OGRose! I planted my dutch iris bulbs in raised, sunny beds and I'm hoping they will be blooming around easter sunday (April 8) when my ranunculus, louisiana iris and bearded iris are also in bloom!

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 8:48PM
random_harvest(z8 TX DFW)

I have three varieties of Dutch iris that bloom in three distinct waves. Earliest is the common sky blue, then a yellow/blue combination called Oriental Beauty, and last a dark, almost navy blue that was supposed to be Sky Beauty but obviously isn't. Here, the sky blues bloom with the bridal wreath and the earliest roses. Oriental Beauty blooms with the ranunculus and yes, a few early bearded iris. The navy blues bloom with the mid-season iris, giving, as you've planned, a wonderful and effortless contrast in form and color.

Dutch iris foliage comes up in mid to late fall, survives our occasional hard freezes, and then dies back for the summer along with the daffodils.

Here's Oriental Beauty and Roper's Revenge - a bit gaudy!

And this is Spartan with the navy blue Dutch iris.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 11:12AM
jardineratx

Wow, thanks for the photos and there's nothing gaudy going on....it's beautiful!!!
It seems that I should have a good display of various iris blooms this coming spring. I especially like that the foliage will go down in the summer since I have a lot of annuals and perennials that can pop up and share the same garden space.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™