Do you have Mexican Honey Wasps?

castro_gardenerNovember 23, 2012

This is a picture of a nest I found this week in a tree that recently started losing its leaves. Concerned about what they will do if we mow or work around this tree, I contacted the agricultural extension agency.

He said they were honey wasps, and not very aggressive at all. Thank goodness! But I also had wanted to save the nest, since it's so cool looking. But they do not abandon their nests like our paper wasps do after the first freeze. And it's filled with honey, so no can do.

Just wanted you to see this in case you find one in your own de-leafing trees !

patty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It looks like the Paper wasp or hornets nests up north. Very cool. Do they make honey?

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:05PM
phoenix7801

Wow! If I was working on a tree that had that on it I'd probably fall right outta the tree lol.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 10:30AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Yeah Joey, I would think 'hornets' too if I saw the nest, although I have never seen a real hornet's nest, only pictures or cartoons in the funny papers. It's nice to know they are not agressive. Sounds like they are much like our common paper wasps in that respect.

Patty, thanks for the introduction of this fascinating insect. I'll be watching to see if I can find wasps with those markings foraging on flowers. Plus I would dearly love to find a nest in my yard.

Mara, the link says the nests are raided for their honey by people in Mexico and that will build back in the same spot in the base is left. Also says that small nests are sought by 'wasp farmers' and carried to the village so the nest can be protected and the honey more easily harvested.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about honey wasp including closeups of the wasps ...

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 2:43PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Patty also said in her post that it was filled with honey.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 4:32PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

wow, really cool

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 3:10PM
texanjana(8)

That is so cool.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™