Brandywine Tomatoes

DJ1975September 2, 2013

The best tomatoes for slicing and salads have to be the Bandywine heirloom. I have been gardening for 40 years and never had a tomato as good as the Brandywine, blows the doors off Beefsteaks. So much for genetic engineering.
PS These toms were as big as 8 " diameter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

D...my Brandywine is very good....but my Cherokee Purple is better. Keep in mind there are several varieties of "Brandywine". ie. Sudduth's, Red, Pink, etc

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:32AM
labradors_gw

That's most interesting fireduck. Since I haven't grown Brandywine in years, but LOVE the taste, I was wondering how it would compare to Cherokee Purple which is amazing this year.

I think that Rose de Bern tastes even better, but I just wish it hadn't suffered so badly from BER when none of my other plants did!

Linda

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 12:47PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

8" in diameter? Hummm.........photo please :-)

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 6:19PM
hudson___wy(3)

Interesting - having just taken the taste test for both of these varieties - Brandywine and Cherokee Purple.........although they both have great flavor and I plan to plant them both in our GH next year.........my vote goes to Cherokee Purple!

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:52PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I have had BW few years ago. I admit that it tasted great. Those days I read a lot that BW does not like hot weather. At the time I was gardening in GA(hot summers). I planted it in a partly shaded area. It did ok. Not too good.
This year being in the Pacific NW, I thought it should do well here. Thats why I planted one. It has been a disappointment. It has been VERY slow to begin with. Then it has 3 or 4 tomatoes all together and the plant is over 7 ft tall.
So, it is a scratch. Next year I will plant Cherokee Purple instead. I have had CP and I liked it too.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 3:21AM
fireduck(10a)

Isn't it always interesting how people have differing opinions/results? I am growing in containers...so I suspect my results could actually be better in the ground. Both my Brandywine and CP are only about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall. I have harvested 6-8 each already...and have a dozen more big green fruit on right now. I am satisfied with this....in containers. My CP's are juicier, and have less scarring and catfacing than the Brandywine.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 10:20AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

F... it seems to me that you have miniturized them in pots (3 - 4ft ?!)
I think, when tomatoes get root bound, tend to to fruit early and maybe more. In fact, in my view, this is a good method in pot gardening, as long as the soil is kept moist and fertilized. Then the roots will have no opportunity to grow and instead concentrate on fruits/seeds production.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 3:58PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Brandywine is a Beefsteak tomato

Here is a link that might be useful: wikipedia

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 7:42PM
fireduck(10a)

S...you make a great point right there! I am growing in 15 gal nursery pots...and next year I plan to go up to 20 gal trash cans. It is kind of fun to tweek things to get better results. Thankyou for the insight.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Concerned about Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes
I recently picked up a pakc of little tomato plants...
Noteybook
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Tell apart a Cherokee Purple and Black from Tula?
This year I decided to plant a mixed bag of seeds since...
brandon_the_random
Sponsored Products
Antique Bronze Brandywine 3-light Bath Bar Vanity
Overstock.com
Glamos Wire Galvanized Diamond Cage Support - 10 Pack - 760469
$88.00 | Hayneedle
Savoy House Brandywine Traditional Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Tomatoes & Garlic Stone Coaster - Set of Four
$8.99 | zulily
Rocco Porcelain Table Lamp
$283.80 | Bellacor