Favorite Full Flavor Large Tomato

kathy_nj(6)September 3, 2012

I grew for the first time this year a few large tomatoes that I was disappointed in their flavor. My favorite is Burpee Burger and TomatoFest Heirloom Julia Child. I would like to grow a few more varieties of large meaty full flavor tomatoes. What is your favorite?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

1. Marianna's Peace
2. Cherokee Purple

I'm trying some others, like Sophie's Choice, Anna Russian and Riesentraube - but it's too early for fruit.

The picture is Mariann'a Peace - flavor was incredible!!!

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:38AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Mary, Sophie's Choice, which I introduced, isn't a large fruited variety, and nor is Riesentraube, which is cherry sized with a nipple at the blossom end. ( smile)

Kathy, if you do a search here at GW you'll find lots of threads asking the same question, but I'll just list a few large fruited ones that I think are dependable and great tasting.

REDS ( beefsteak)

Neves Azorean Red
Chapman
Red Penna
Milka's Red Bulgarian
Aker's West Virginia
OTV Brandywine
Cuostralee

REDS ( hearts)

Wes
German Red Strawberry
Linnie's Oxheart
Indiana Red
Fish Lake Oxheart
Reif Red heart

PINKS ( beefsteak)

Omar's Lebanese
Large Pink Bulgarian
Tidwell German
Soldacki
Terhune
Hays'

PINKS ( hearts)

Kosovo
Nicky Crain
Anna Maria's Heart
Ludmilla's Pink Heart

... and many more

it might be best to start out with the large reds and pinks for a few years and then go on to the large green when ripes, the so called blacks and gold/red bicolors and oranges.

I listed both beefsteak and heart varieties for each color b'c I find that some of the best tastes are to be found with the hearts, but maybe consider starting with the red and pink beefsteak ones first.

If you don't know the above varieties I think it would be best to go to Tania's Tomato Data base, I'll link to it below, and when on the Home page scroll down to where it says to use the alphabetical method of finding the page for a variety b'c you can do that knowing the variety names I posted above.

Each variety has traits, pictures, comments from others, histories when available and if you scroll down on any variety page you'll find the seed sites that list that variety. Tania herself sells seeds for over 600 varieties and many of the seed sites she specifies list hundreds of varieties.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tania's Tomato data base

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 2:10PM
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™