My Heirloom Harvest! Pics

behlgarden(9)September 13, 2011

Glad to see some fruits turning red now. I dont have bumper crop as I started in late June and for some reason I am seeing a lot of BER. well, its worth if I can get to taste all of my 7 varities so I can pick and choose. My cherries are most prolofic.

1884, sweet, fleshy, delicious!

From Tomatoes

Chocolate Stripe Black Tomato

From Tomatoes

Monster Brandywine Red - should come in at over 1.5LB

From Tomatoes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Beautiful!!!!!

As for the BER, are you growing in the ground, raised bed or a container? If ground, did you amend your soil with lime and if not, have you ever had your soil tested for pH and calcium content? If you are growing in a raised bed or container, what potting mix/soil did you use?

Lastly and most importantly, are you keeping the soil consistently moist (I know this is easier said than done

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 12:13PM
behlgarden(9)

these are in raised planter, I did not amend the soil when I planted as I just bought this home. I do water consistently, 3 times a week, giving them at least 5 gallons/week. soil is typical clay/sand mixed planter fill. I used 3" of manuare and 2" of kellong garden soil/compost before I planted any tomatoes. if BER was issue on heirloom due to watering or soil, I should have seen the same in cherry tomatoes but they went perfectly. I might need to do PH test.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 2:13PM
suncitylinda

WOW that 1984 is a looker! Good job, enjoy! Linda

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 4:35PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

I would get the soil tested for calcium content as well as pH by your local extension office. At mine it costs $9 for the test.

Cherry tomatoes are less susceptible to BER than other types of tomatoes, so the fact that the cherries were unaffected doesn't mean the problem wasn't inconsistent moisture level in the soil.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Your Favorite Black / brown Tomatoes
Per title, Mine are as follows: ==CHEROKEE PURPLE (repeat) ==...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™