Hard Frost coming to DFW area

DFW_Gardener(7b)December 8, 2012

We're scheduled for a hard frost Sunday night/Monday morning, with possible snow. It will be below freezing again on Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday.

Prepare accordingly.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynn Marie

I saw that too. I'm actually kind of glad. Last year it seems we didn't get a good freeze and my amaryllises didn't bloom. (Not sure if that is cause/effect, but it seems to be.) Plus, I didn't have the heart to pull up the marigolds that just got nipped by the numerous light frosts and are still blooming. Now I won't feel bad about it.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 3:11PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Had my first killing frost the end of October........but thanks for the warning. Hopefully, the freezing temps will be of short duration.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 3:12PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

How'd that happen, Carrie? It was mid November before I had anything cold enough to make even the sweet potato vine in the front yard notice. Maybe being half a mile from the lake does more than I thought it did?

I am glad that all of my potted plants are in the greenhouse and all I need to do is water, set up the heater, and close the outside door. And hope that I don't need to use the heater!

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 4:10PM
ccabal(7)

Tomorrow I'll cover up my garden with a tarp again. I have spinach, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, turnips, and collards all growing very nicely. I think most of that except the lettuce might survive uncovered but I dont want to take any chances.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 11:55PM
DFW_Gardener(7b)

My peppers I'm going to harvest whatever is still on them and write them off. My peas and kale shouldn't have a problem. My spinach is just sprouting, so I'll cover those just in case.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:05AM
PKponder TX(7b)

We watered well, threw out some more mulch and brought in the unpotted water lily tubers. It's probably time for the garden to sleep. I'm ready for it anyway.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:29PM
ccabal(7)

DFW gardener:
think the peas can handle mid-20s? I remember losing some peas before to such temperatures, so it might be good to throw something over them just to be sure.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:00PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Tomorrow night is when the really HARD freeze will hit.....I hope I have everything protected........including water pipes.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:53PM
FarmingtonFarmski(7)

My uncovered tomatoes, peppers and basil survived the light snow and frost this morning (here just west of DFW Airport). I'll definitely be picking everything that is warm-season today with 9+ hours of below freezing temps being foretasted for tonight.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:53AM
DFW_Gardener(7b)
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 3:25PM
ccabal(7)

Yeah, Ill be throwing 2 tarps on my veggies tonight. Hope the lettuce and turnips make it. Not worried about the cabbage, spinach, or broccoli as much.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™