cutting back perennials

rowdysmomDecember 30, 2013

Hi All, I live in Austin and my deciduous perennials look really bad (I just put in new beds in the fall, so this is my first winter for perennials). I'm talking lantana, turks cap, Mexican oregano, etc etc (lots of perennials). When I inquired at the nursery about when to cut them back, they said not till between Feb. 1-14. But over the weekend on the radio gardening shows, the hosts said it was fine to cut them back now. What advice do you sage gardeners have for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I wait until February to cut mine back ..........if you cut them back now, they could re-sprout on warm days and then be killed back again when the next freeze comes. I know they don't look very attractive, but I have learned to live with it as another part of winter I don't like.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 2:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Like Carrie said; however, a few things in prominent places that look really raggidy like Esperanza in the front yard I cut back if the stems are totally dead. Cutting back perennials with green stems such as roses will induce them to sprout new foliage too early. Plants with soft dead foliage I tidy up by folding it around and mashing it down which serves as a mulch to protect the roots from further low temperatures.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™