NEW: Incredible Edibles's 5th Annual Seed Clean Out Swap!
Welcome to the Incredible Edible's 5th Annual Seed Clean Out Swap.
It's time to start to plan this year's garden, flip through seed catalogs, and order all those varieties you can't live without. It's also a perfect time to go through your seed box and clean out all the seeds you don't want anymore and/or seeds that you are not likely to plant anytime soon.
DETAILS OF THIS SWAP:
1. Edibles only. This swap is limited to vegetables, berries and herbs.
2. The last day to sign up is January 27, 2013.
3. Please have your seeds to me no later than February 10, 2013.
4. Please send seeds in a bubble envelope, with a return address label and enough postage to get your package back to you. Generally speaking, whatever it costs to mail it to me is what you should include for the trip back. This will also depend if heavier seeds are sent in such as beans as these will make the package heavier and cost more to mail back.
5. Please enclose a list of seeds that you are sending and a wish list of seeds you are hoping to receive back. Make sure to include both your name and GW username on these lists.
6. Because this is truly meant to be a clean-out of your unwanted and/or unlikely to be used seeds, there is a chance you will receive fewer seeds than you sent in. Extra seeds will be donated to KC Community Gardens, an organization that helps low income gardeners start and sustain gardens in backyards, vacant lots, school yards, and community gardens. This group has a long track record (30+ years) and has fostered thousands of gardeners. So this is a great way to clean out your seed box, get some new (to you) seeds, and, most importantly, support an organization that helps gardeners who are in need.
7. Please no seed older that 2011. One caveat to this rule, if you have viable seed from 2009 or 2010 that you want to donate, go ahead and send it in. I will not include these older seeds in the swap but will put them directly in the donation pile. If you didn't grow this seed in 2011-2012, please do a germination test to confirm it will sprout.
8. Once I sort the seeds and match up all the requests that I can, I will post a list of extra seeds on a 'Going Once Going Twice" thread. If you see something on the list that sparks your interest, speak up and I will add it to your stash on a first come first serve basis. Assuming that I have received everyones seeds by February 10th, I will try to post the list of extras on Saturday, February 17th. To keep things moving along, I will keep the list updated for 3 days. After 3 days, whatever isn't claimed will be donated. Hopefully, we will have a nice cache of seeds to share.
OK are you ready to sign up? You know you wanna...so lets start going through and cleaning out our seed box's of seeds that aren't going to be planted this year. I know I have plenty.