Do you know this butterfly?

cynthianovakDecember 3, 2012

My garden was full of butterflies this afternoon. I guess I'm the best nectar source around. Some were small some were big like the giant tiger swallow tail. But this one looks like a Monach underneath, complete with body. do you recognize it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ocgf(Z8)

Gulf Frittilary (Agraulis vanillae)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Agraulis v.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:50PM
phoenix7801

Nope it's a Queen. They feed on milkweeds though like Monarchs

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:57PM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

Yes, it's definitely a Queen. I get them on my milkweed some years. The cats look almost exactly like Monarchs except they have an extra set of "horns" near the middle of their bodies. Chrylasis look very much alike too. Easy to confuse them.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:42AM
ocgf(Z8)

Interesting! It's a Danaus gilippus, then. According the information I found on the net, they do not migrate. I wonder if the caterpillars I have on my milkweeds are queens and not monarchs...

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen butterfly

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 6:01PM
cynthianovak

My response did not go through. It is a Queen and I found her on milkweed. the photo was taken on fennel in flower.

They are suddenly everywhere. I assume the heat and the fact that I have loads of flowers made my garden the place to lay eggs and to stay as long as possible.

I do not remember seeing them before. Maybe a few but not like this.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 1:01AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I happened to come across this blog post about how to tell Queens and Monarchs apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen, Monarch Caterpillars and Butterflies: How to tell the difference ...

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 6:13PM
linda_tx8(8)

Queens DO migrate, it's just much less distance involved. I usually see Queens, mainly traveling northward in Spring to late summer. Then periodically I see them in summer. In fall they are pretty much headed south. For some reason I didn't see their eggs or caterpillars on the milkweed this year. And mainly just saw male Queen butterflies. Not sure why that was. I did have the Monarch caterpillars in spring this year, but even though I saw the Monarchs in my garden this fall, no eggs or caterpillars were spotted. I must say that this year was unusual, because I even saw a few Monarchs in early December! I saw a Queen this morning, also unusual to see one this late. Lots of butterflies left, mainly snouts, American Ladies, sulfurs and skippers. And there's at least one Red Admiral and a few Common Mestras (a fairly tropical butterfly seldom seen here). Unfortunately, freezing weather is coming! Monday night it's forecast to get to 25 degrees here in my Hill Country area.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Native Plant Suggestions
This both a gardening and a social issue. I have a...
Redthistle
What is this plant?
Need help identifying this plant. It is growing in...
stephendbrown
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
Which of these plants might work on my blazing hot deck?
My 2nd story deck is full blazing sun, and I want to...
liz_h
How to plant Pride of Barbados seed pod?
Hi, For the first time I have a seed pod from my Pride...
monicatx
Sponsored Products
Naples Satin Nickel Five-Light Pendant with 5.5-Foot Silver Cord with Clear Glas
Bellacor
Bath Authority DreamLine Vitreo-X Frameless Pivot Shower Door (58"- 58-3/4")
Modern Bathroom
Vantage Medium Bench in Natural
$329.00 | LexMod
Penelope Red 60-inch Outdoor Bench Cushion
Overstock.com
Noguchi: Freeform Sofa Reproduction
Modern Classics Furniture
Kina Black Pendant - David Trubridge
$1,000.00 | HORNE
Camryn Solid Chair
Grandin Road
A19 Lighting | San Jose Downlight Wall Sconce