PVC pipe shelf

southofsaDecember 29, 2012

Has anyone else ever thought they came up with a totally unique idea? Then when you looked at the internet you realized you were about the five millionth person to have the same idea.

I was mulling over some ideas on how to corral my asparagus plants a little bit so they didn't block my vegetable garden path. I started to think about PVC pipe.

After a little bit of research I was pretty amazed at all the things people make with PVC pipe. That brought me to another project I'd had on my list- starting seeds indoors. I usually either direct seed into the garden or buy transplants. I've wanted to set up some shelves with grow lights and heat mats, but just hadn't gotten very far. Either the shelves I'd found were too expensive, or not the right size, or whatever.

So when I found a post on T's flowers that used PVC pipe with a really nice schematic I figured what the heck. I could tweak the size a little bit to fit my space and I'd see how it worked. Then if I ever decided to get a real one I'd know what worked for me.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The pipe, T connectors, PVC cement, and paint ended up costing about $75. I sized it to fit some shoe trays I found on Gardener's Supply. The lights are regular shop lights from Home Depot with really bright fluorescent lights.

It's kind of involved for a DIY project, but if you have the time, a way to make straight cuts in the PVC, and some good sized clamps it's very doable.

I hope the picture comes out OK. I couldn't figure out how to resize it to post. Next up will be my DIY heat mats. Stay posted :-)

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ocgf(Z8)

It looks great. I fund-raised some money to buy 2 commercial plant-growers for the school I worked for at that time and our donors paid around $300 a piece (including a programmable light-timer)Good job!

Omar

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:59PM
southofsa

Thanks Omar! It was kind of a fun project. But not something I'd like to do full time :-)

Lisa

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:49AM
PKponder TX(7b)

You did a nice job on that shelving unit!

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 4:38PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Wow -- looks like a real pro job! Thanks for the photos and comments about how you made it.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 6:37PM
printmaster1

Nice!

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 8:04PM
lavernialadybug(8B)

I want one too - now I can send a picture of it to my hubby to show him what I was talking about.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown Singleton...
sylviatexas2
Texas Superstars - Hibiscus
All large plant nurseries, Lowes, HomeDepot, etc dont...
z36r
Banner year for Dutch iris?
Unknown Dutch iris bulbs we received ages ago as one...
bostedo
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
Sponsored Products
Tugboat Ahoy Metal Cubby
$189.99 | Dot & Bo
Serena & Lily Aubrey Desk
Serena & Lily
Teak Rectangular Shower Stool
Signature Hardware
Rev-A-Shelf Organization & Storage 28 in. Wood 2-Shelf Pie-Cut Lazy Susan Light
Home Depot
"Kingsbury" Four-Piece Entertainment Unit
$9,799.00 | Horchow