My poor cabbages, broccoli, and spinach...hope they survive

ccabal(7)December 26, 2012

They are under 2 tarps, with snow and ice on top of the tarps. I dont think I can even get those tarps off until all of it melts off. But I'm not sure they would have survived unless I covered them, with it being 21 this morning, and tonight about the same. Anyone still have a vegetable garden going?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I am in 8 b so It has gotten down to 24. I fully expect to have all my plants live through this front. I have goten plants through much worse than this.. I have them wrapped up the heavier frost row cover. They are lighter but let light and some moisture through. We did not have snow. The snow will act as an insulator on top of your tarp. I also put a lot of mulching straw around my plants. Everything helps.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 12:06AM
ccabal(7)

i pulled the tarp off this evening. . my plants seemed to have survived although they look a little beat up, especially the taller broccoli plants, with the weight of the tarp on them. but the cabbage and spinach look good. Turnips look good too
, at least the roots are. .. the greens have seen better days.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 6:06PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I would look to acquire some of the heavier row cover. It is not as hard on the plants, weight wise. I get it in 12' wide lengths cut to the lenth of my desire and it runs about $1 per running foot. I have pvc frames and I stretch the cloth over the arched frames and clip them with large binder clips from the office store. A box of 12 1"ers goes for about $6. They are perfect on the thin pvc. I sometimes put a second cloth in on top of the plants on the really bad fronts. I have gotten pepper plants through 28F. I pulled them this time because I noticed the peppers had not grown much since the last freeze.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 6:27PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; USDA z8a, HZ10, Sunset z30)

We were down at 26F yesterday morning. I had my peppers (still blooming and setting fruit!) under two plastic tarps, weighted down on the edges, with a cloth sleeping bag thrown over the top covering about half of the lay of the tarp. The peppers came through fine, it appears. My trellised peas were unprotected, and they're quite happy.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 9:57PM
ccabal(7)

My plants are still going, but not growing much at all. Its gotten into the upper 20s and lower 30s a number of times since I pulled off the tarp but my plants have been OK. The amazing thing is that I still have aphids on my turnips. I had no idea those guys could survive cold weather like that.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™