Tomato plant stems are dying, but growing new shoots

oyjoy(5b)September 14, 2012

My container cherry tomato plant stems are dying, but is growing new shoots. It is at the end of the season and I continue to harvest healthy tomatoes. The temperatures are going down to 40 degrees at night, but it is in the 70's during the day. I have a very sunny apartment and can bring the plant indoors. My questions are:

Can I cut the dead stems off the plant before the shoots, without killing the plant?

Will these new shoots grow tomatoes or should I just harvest the remainder of the fruits and call it a day (season)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

If it were me I'd call it a season, harvest what you can and then dispose of the plant since you haven't indicated what disease you think it might be that's affecting the stems and I suppose leaves as well.

My guess would be one of the two common fungal doseases, either Early Blight ( A' solani), which can occur early OR late in the season, or Septoria Leaf Spot, and not Late Blight ( P. infestans), which can also occur early or late in the season, b'c if it were the latter no new stems would probably be appearing.

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?
I ordered seeds last year and the seller included a...
nhardy
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™