Camp Joy cherry

minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)September 7, 2012

Does this thing EVER not split when ripe? My watering isn't perfect, I'll admit, but nothing else is splitting like this one. If I leave it on the vine to ripen, it splits either before I pick it, as I pick it, or in the kitchen bowl... The only way to avoid splitting seems to be to pick early, and that defeats the entire purpose of growing 'maters at home!

And to me, it's not the SFW taste that would make me willing to tolerate this annoyance. It's OK here in the redwoods, but it's not a thrill to eat, it's just OK. I want them wonderful, warm, and aromatic and this fails at anything but 'warm'.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CathyCA Zone10(10)

In So Cal here. Have not had much splitting with camp joy. Maybe 1 in 20 or less. Very prolific. Over 1000 cherries from one plant. Agree on taste. Not special.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:05PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

When suggestions for red cherries are asked for Chadwick's Cherry, aka Camp Joy, is always one of the ones I suggest.

Taste for me is great, hardly ever splits and production is wonderful.

For any given variety there will always be differences of opinion since the season in when it's grown as to all the variables that go into growing tomatoes will always be different as are the ways that folks grow their tomatoes and where they do so in a geographic sense.

I've grown Camp Joy, BTW, which is the grow out area for Bountiful Gardens in CA where Alan Chadwick from England developed this variety thus the two names, many times and it has always worked out well for me.

Taste is both personal and perceptual and even has a human genetic component so it's no wonder that a given variety can taste differently to different folks/

If a variety has been highly suggested to me and it doesn't perform the first time I almost always give it a second chance to show me what it can do in a different season with different variables.

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:06AM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

SFW ?

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 3:07AM
minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)

SFW - Simply 'Effing' Wonderful. My MIL didn't like cursing, so DH started using the acronym.

Splitting - so, most likely because my watering is inconsistent? OK, that can be worked on!

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™