Overwinter tomato plants inside - not for fruit - anyone??

dancinglemons(7B VA)September 13, 2008

Hello all,

I am looking for information to overwinter some tomato plants inside. I am not looking to grow tomato fruit only to keep the plants alive until spring. This will be sort of a 'bonsai' effect with extreme pruning to keep the plants semi-dormant or very small @ less than 12 inches tall.

Anyone have info on this process?? Anyone tried this? I have green zebra and Dr. Wyche Yellow that I want to attempt this process with.

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

DL, I'm linking to a long thread that addresses your questions that was posted just a couple of weeks ago.

Some of the posts have to do with just maintaining plants and some have to do with trying to get production, but the majority of the posts are about overwintering without trying for fruit production which is what you asked about.

I remembered the thread and went to the bottom of this first page and entered overwintering plants, and up it popped.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering plants

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 6:43PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

My question whenever this question comes up is - why? Work and time issues aside, what are you hoping to gain? A motley looking houseplant with yellow and dropping leaves that's prone to fruit fly and spider mite infestations?

It's not like it gives you any head start on production the following year. New plants will surpass it everytime.

Dave

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 6:59PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Carolyn,
Thanks a million for that link. A UK gardener gave me the info I needed in a post on that thread.

digdirt,
Why?? The thrill of the unknown. I am retired and like to experiment. Will it be successful? Unless I try I will never know.

DL

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:12AM
denninmi(8a)

"Reasons, you want reasons? I've got five good reasons right here!" (making a fist one finger at a time)-- Lucy.

"Those are some pretty good reasons!" (trembling and choking up) -- Linus.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™