Can Tomatoes survive thru winter?

biggjoeSeptember 12, 2010

I'm wondering if a healthy in-ground tomato plant that is trimed down and covered well could survive a cold Indiana winter.

I have a "Black Krim" plant that was planted in-ground in early May. I've watered deeply once a week so I know the roots run deep into my soil. Even now I've noticed that the plant is

growing new limbs and flowering on those limbs that are about 6" above the ground. This plant has outlasted most of my plants in SWC's

So I'm thinking what if I was to put clear plastic around the base of the plant to trap in as much heat as possible and then pile a bunch of mulch around the base and up the stem to hopefully keep it from freezing solid down to the roots this winter. I can even trim the plant down to where it's covered by the mulch.

I also remember my mother saying that she has planted Cherry tomatoes that come back year after year. So if Cherry tomatoes can come back, why can't other tomatoes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I don't think it will in your zone but it never hurts to try. I.m going for some small hoop houses on large raised containers. It will extend the season but doubt the tomatoes will survive the 0-10 degrees we often get. I've got a brandywine sucker that was given to me late in the season and would like a fruit or 2 for seeds next year. I think it just got a couple flowers pollinated. I could go as far as running warm water to them at a trickle if need be on colder days.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 2:52AM
hellbound

i agree they probably were volunteers that came back from the cherry tomatoes year after year i'm from new mexico which is nowhere near as cold as indiana and we couldn't get them to survive past thanksgiving if you really like the plant take a cutting and pot it and you be set for next spring...

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 7:35PM
wordwiz

OK, it will survive, it you want to jump through more hoops than Hula made. Build a frame around it, add a 100 watt light bulb or two, take the plastic off every so often and water the ground.

I'm in Cincy and I would never go through the trouble of even trying to overwinter an outdoor, in-ground plant. If it was a spectacular, award-winning, 12-foot tall plant that produced 55 pounds of fruit - yeah, take a cutting or at the least save some seeds. But try to deal with snowfalls/freezing rain that can amount to a foot or more, or temps in the minus single or double digits, soil that can freeze 6-7 inches deep in a normal year - no thanks! I would rather start from scratch.

Mike

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Jersey Boy - 2015
I volunteered to post a review for "Jersey Boy"...
hudson___wy
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Sponsored Products
Stand Up! iPad, Computer & Book Stand - Red - Black+Blum
$50.00 | HORNE
4 Lights Contemporary LED Makeup Mirror Vanity Light
ParrotUncle
A19 Lighting | Maui ADA Wall Sconce
$147.99 | YLighting
UCX Warm White LED Undercabinet Light
Lightology
Hoppi Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture with Mocha/Clear Glass
$463.50 | Bellacor
Waverly Sun & Shade Distressed Blue Rug (5'3 x 7'5)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™