Tomatoes rotting on vine

gladgourd(7)September 14, 2011

I was out of town for a week and when I returned, there were several tomatoes that were rotten on the vine. We had torrential rains here in Maryland and this is the first time I have seen this happen.

I wonder if I should put them in the compost pile or if anyone has any recommendations on how to dispose of these.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

you need to figure out what the rotting came from. if it was just over ripe, bug, bird, BER or other they can go to the compost. if was a disease i wouldnt put them in the compost. just my 3 cents.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 9:19AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

I too had lots of fruits that rotted on the vine this season and also with partially ripe fruits that were brought inside.

Not a normal situation for me but with Irene and then Lee coming through there was lots of weather checking on the fruits and those that normally have either radial or concentric splitting at the stem end that normally scars over, resplit thus allowing just normal bacteria and fungi from the air to infect those reopened splits,

So you weren't alone in having so much problems with rotting fruits.

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 2:33AM
br33

The heavy rains most likely caused the rot they should be OK in a week or 10 days. Good luck Bill
PS if you keep water away.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 2:51PM
gladgourd(7)

Thanks everyone! After reading your comments, I am thinking it was just due to the unusual wet weather and I will put these in the compost pile.
Gladys

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™