Best -tasting tomatoes with least seeds?

peebee1September 2, 2009

Couldn't find the posting I saw once with this subject, I am looking for heirlooms with least amount of seeds. An example, for me so far, is KBX and Kellogg's Brkfst. Saw a pic of Orange Strawberry here, beautiful and few seeds.

All colors, but need a green one too. Green Zebra had way too many seeds, no meat. I make a lot of salsa so the fewer the seeds, the better. No paste varieties please. Too much BER.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Suzie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Dr. Wyche Yellow has very few seeds.

My solution this year for NO BER was

2 cups of Espoma Garden Lime,
1 cup of Bone Meal and
2 cups of Espoma TomatoTone

All this mixed into the top 6 inches of potting mix one week before planting. I plant in containers. This worked great in 10 gallon containers and should work for inground tomato plants. My San Marzano Redorta (Seeds from Italy) had NO BER. I grow this San Marzano variety because it has almost NO seeds and I hate tomato seeds.

DL

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 1:03AM
zebraman

Rose Tomato is large like Brandywine and has 10-12 seeds per froit. It's more productive and tastes better than Brandywine also. I grow a half dozen greeb var.s but all of them are seedy.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 4:59PM
yardenman(z7 MD)

I find that Cherokee Purple usually has very few seeds compared to the other heirlooms. So few that I never bother to remove them and I don't like seeds.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 8:52PM
ddsack

Most any of the wispy leafed heart shapes are very meaty with few seeds, like the Orange Strawberry you mentioned. For a green, I didn't really pay attention, but don't remember Green Giant or Grub's Mystery Green having a lot of seeds. Personally, I don't mind the seeds, since often the gel surrounding them is what gives the tomatoes it's salty acid zing.

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 11:26PM
jackbenny(4/5)

Ddsack, I must be gifted because I can grow Orange Strawberry, and Red and get BER even though they are supposed to be resistant to it. However, this year I planted Sheboygan, a wispy leafed-pink-paste type...and not a single one with BER. It does have fewer seeds, and as an added bonus, the flavor isn't bland like other pastes.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 1:45AM
trudi_d

Beefsteak!

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:26AM
hilomark(z5 NY)

I second "Rose."

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 3:43PM
woodcutter2008

* Posted by zebraman 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 16:59

> Rose Tomato is large like Brandywine and has 10-12 seeds per froit. It's more productive and tastes better than Brandywine also. I grow a half dozen greeb var.s but all of them are seedy. AKA "Red Rose" as in this link? I've been thinking about trying this one. If not this one, do you have a link?
-WC

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Growers (late varieties)

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 5:58PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

No, Red Rose (at TGS) is an entirely different tomato with a different history.

Here's Rose:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Rose
http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/mainSearch/detail.php?ID=1662&filterBy=&filterBylocation=&filterByfrostfree=
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/109923/
http://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?PR=_listat_pr&NT=Database&NS=Variety_Display&RD=d_Variety_Display&tom_id=185

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:34PM
miesenbacher(7)

Without a doubt, "ASHLEIGH". Out of 8 fruits, each weighing in the pound range I had a total of 15 seeds. This variety is all meat! And it puts out the Toms! I grew it in a 7 gal container.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 1:07AM
peebee1

Thanks everyone, I will defintely try most of the types mentioned above. Is Ashleigh easily available here in the US? I searched briefly, but could not find it.

So sad when the end of summer comes, no more tomatoes till next year...

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 1:49AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Ashleigh's history from Tatania's TOMATObase:

Neil Gillard from Ontario, Canada (ONT GI N) got the seed from friends at Wilber Lake, Ontario, who in turn got it from their neighbour. This variety originally came unnamed from Lazec, Macedonia, and Neil decided to name it after his niece Ashleigh.

More info at:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ashleigh

It's mentioned a lot in Google, so apparently a lot of people are growing it or discussing it. It doesn't seem to be carried by any major commercial vendors yet. However, Remy has it at The Sample Seed Shop:
http://sampleseeds.com/?page_id=65

Another source for variety info:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/129379/

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 2:38AM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Red Rose is actually pink; it's an older variety that was a Rutgers x Brandywine cross.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 8:51PM
zebraman

Hey Woodcutter2008; I got my Rose seeds from here
http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/seed/heirloom.htm
Ashleigh is good too but I prefer the taste of Rose better.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 8:07PM
zebraman

Sorry about that, it should have read...

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson/edu

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 9:10PM
tkordenbrock

I cast my vote for Cleota Pink. It put out beautiful fruit with few seeds. Certainly more than Ashleigh, but not many. Best tasting tomato in my garden this year. In my SWCs, they were about 1.5 pounds each. In ground at my Dad's place, they were 2 pounds each. No BER.

TK

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 1:55AM

MOST of the heart varieties have very few seeds. One is Slankard's--it also won Biggest Tomato at the 2009 Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 2:22PM
zebraman

Hey Tkordenbrock; I have "Cleota Pink" from Mariseeds, but have yet to grow. How is the taste? Sweet/mild or Tangy/Robust? The Photo on Mariseeds shows a monster but I am assuming most are smaller. What is your experience?

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 3:28PM
wordwiz

Last year I grew Green Sausage - very few seeds and not a lot of juice. The children love the tomato for salsa.

Mike

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 11:32AM
tania_in_vancouver(7b PNW)

best tasting with no seeds?

Wes!

Tania

Here is a link that might be useful: Wes

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 2:46PM
oldpot

ty for this post my wife got diviticluaites (or whatever you spell it ) and she cannot have seeds she like large to beefsteak ones with plenty meat on them and hope fing some with few seeds any one got ideas on them sort of tomatoes i can grow i got a few ideas from thsi post

ty

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 4:45PM
oldpot

ps or large to beefsteak one with thick walls to them as we can hollow out the middle and use the thick walls

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 4:55PM

oldpot, a friend of mine had diverticulitis. e-mail me thru my MyPage link, I see you didn't have any way to contact you through GW. I have about 500 varieties and should be able to find some great tasting ones that don't have many seeds, including many mentioned above already.

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 12:01AM
oldpot

ty
korney19 i have emailed you and thank you for trying to find some tomatoes that will help the wife

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 1:17AM
More Discussions
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™