heating greenhouse

busbossOctober 20, 2012

looking for info. on heating green house anytype. have tried looking for solar but unable to find.help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Check out the Greenhouses forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse forum

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 10:08AM
kiropod(7)

I have a 10 X 12 greenhouse in Southern NJ and have a 220 electric heater which does a great job keeping it warm, even in the coldest of evennings.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 4:07PM
cole_robbie(6)

I use wood-fueled, forced-air furnace in a separate building.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 9:23PM
barrie2m_

I also use wood stoves but within the structure as it reduces costs considerably. Used wood stoves are cheapest at springtime auctions and flue pipe can be wire-rigged to stand alone with just a post for support. In 12 years of using woodstoves I never had a problem with external "Sparks" but I do use a box fan inside to blow air over the stoves and use circulation fans to keep all inside air at the same temp.
Propane space heaters are a good backup heat source or for marginal nights when you only need a few degrees of added heat. I just can't afford electric heat or solar panels and relying on water tanks as heat sink is wishful when you want to keep significantly above freezing.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 11:28AM
SmokyMist(7 East TN)

I would like to find out more about this. We have two greenhouses, a small 6 x 8", which is what I started out with, and one we put up last February which is a 16' x 24'. I can't afford to heat electrically, but I'd like to find other options so it can be used during the winter.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 11:05AM
cole_robbie(6)

If you have the money, I think the best option is one of the new external wood stoves that heat water, which is then recirculated through the building you want to heat. They look like a metal shed in your backyard. They're not cheap, and there is a lot of trenching involved in burying the cable, but for about $10,000 you can have some very nice heat. If you used it to heat your house, too, it could pay for itself over enough time. It's nice to have the mess and smell of the wood smoke outside of your structure, instead of within, and from a physics perspective, it is a lot more efficient to heat water than to heat air, like I do. I just didn't have the $10k :(

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 1:11PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Heating a greenhouse discussions from the Greenhouse forum - the FAQs too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Heating a greenhouse discussions from the Greenhouse forum - the FAQs too

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
How do I stabilize a possible hybrid?
Hi, I am in New Zealand where heirloom seeds are relatively...
Microphobik
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™