Ollas and tomaotes

esteban_2009(6)October 6, 2013

Hi folks,
I have been reading very interesting information about Ollas (porous clay pots).
Have any of you used them with tomatoes? If so, how big was the olla and how far from the plant did you put it.
Once again, thanks for all the great information.
Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I love clay pots, but too cost prohibitive for me. They have a short life too. You can't leave them out in the winter. I would need very large ones for tomatoes. I use them for cacti, another passion of mine. I don't see many advantages as tomatoes are water hogs. The plants use a lot of water. But if you have wet springs, and plants are out the quick drying clay would be a major advantage. I lost one plant indirectly because of this year's wet spring. Another had BER on the first few tomatoes. Both probably would have been OK, if in clay pots.

The ollas system looks interesting and is a different way to use clay. But I myself would not use it. Tomatoes can have roots as long as 4 feet or longer. Restricting root size would be a major problem for me. The pots would have to be dug up each year for me, as the freezes would more than likely damage the pots.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 8:52

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 8:43AM
esteban_2009(6)

Hi Drew51,
Thanks for the response.
Steve

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 3:27PM
nialialea

I did something similar with plastic bottles one year. It wokred fine, but ultimately saved no work. It was nice knowing I'd watered enough at the roots, but nothing amazing.

With much slower draining ollas, I'm pretty sure it'd be a mosquito breeding ground. And it takes up space, which is at a premium for me. I think I'd want to be very sure what the benefits are to me, in my climate, before I went to the trouble!

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 9:11PM
CathyCA SoCal(10)

This picture shows my ollas with a tomato plant, garlic and lettuce. I have four 1 gallon ollas. This picture was in Feb 2012, the tomato plant was a volunteer which was an experiment to let it grow in winter. I usually put 3 tomato plants in the area in spring. The ollas are about a foot from the plants (not perfectly evenly spaced) with each plant next to 2 ollas. It doesn't freeze here and we don't have a mosquito problem. I haven't broken any of them yet. We even had raccoons dig one out of the ground and it still was not broken.

I still deep water the ground with a hose periodically in addition to filling the ollas.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 11:30PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

This is an age old concept for desert areas to conserve water, where there is very little water and rain,
We are faced with opposite problem, a lot of time, a lot of places :: TOO MUCH WATER

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
What is a good source for heirloom tomato seeds in Canada?
I've decided to get into heirloom tomato this year....
lemonbasil
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Sponsored Products
Olla Pendant
Lightology
Olla Table Lamp
Lightology
Olla Table Lamp
Lightology
Olla Table Lamp
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™