pulling up vines

beckyinrichmondOctober 11, 2013

I have some tomatoes in raised beds and they are still ripening. I would like to plant some kale in those beds and it seems I should be doing that now. Average date for frost here is Oct. 22. Temps will be 50s to 70s next week. Can I pull up the tomatoes and put them on a mulched shady area of the yard under crepe myrtles until frost is imminent? I don't have space to hang vines up in a garage. Or is it just as well to pick the green tomatoes and bring them inside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I would just pick the green tomatoes and discard the plants. You risk having the tomatoes fall off a hanging plant, and they could be ruined by being bruised. I just leave the tomatoes in a brown paper bag or even out in the open (but not in sun), and most of them ripen within a couple weeks.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 8:04PM
beckyinrichmond

Thanks. I pulled them up today and planted spinach, kale, and garlic. Do you compost your vines or put them in the trash?

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 3:57PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I never compost my tomato plants (or any solanaceous plants) because I am worried about carrying over diseases from year to year, but I may be a little overcautious. If you are very good about building a compost pile that heats up enough so it destroys seeds and most diseases, and you are sure your plants didn't have any diseases that can overwinter, it's probably safe.

There was another thread on this subject a few days ago, and many experienced growers do compost their vines. See: Composting tomato plants.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™