blight

honkerOctober 3, 2013

i have wire cages for my tomatos and had blight this year. do i need to spray the cages with bleach or use fire on them? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Well blight is a fungus, so I suppose it possible spores could remain on the cage. Both options could damage metal, but not that much. Use mulch next year to keep soil spashes down. I use pine hay, as I have an unlimited supply. Works well for gardens and pots.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I don't know what you mean by blight. People use that word to describe all sorts of fungal and bacterial diseases that effect tomatoes. It looks like you're in Illinois, and according to USAblight.org, there were no reports of late blight in your area, so it's unlikely to be that. It's more likely alternaria, sometimes called Early Blight. You might want to read the other thread on this forum called Spray regime for tomatoes. There's a long passage copied from Dr. Carolyn Male that describes the different tomato diseases.

On your specific question, most tomato diseases cannot survive winter on a tomato cage. To be safe, you could wipe down your cages with soapy water or diluted (10-1) bleach or vinegar. But don't risk hurting yourself with straight bleach or fire.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™