Cutting Back a Plant that is Getting Too Big and No Fruit Set

yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)October 2, 2012

I am growing OTV in a container, but I started the seeds too early and it is too hot and humid here for fruit set. I am getting tons of blossoms but no fruit set due to the temperature and humidity.

The plant is now over 4 feet tall at only 10 weeks of age (from date of planting seed) and if it gets over 6 foot it will be too large for me to stake and otherwise deal with. What would happen if I cut the branches back to 2 foot? Would new branches form and new flowers bloom that would have a chance at fruit set once the temperatures cool here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Pros and cons of 'topping plants' is a common question here and while it isn't usually recommended except as a method to ripen late fruit when a frost is threatened, it basically comes down to your choice since it is your plant to deal with.

You will set the plant back by about 2-3 weeks due to the stress it causes and may lose some later production. Primary concern IMO is that the plant will then be dependent on secondary stems for fruit support and secondary branches for water and nutrient circulation once it recovers from the topping.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you top your plants? discussion

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 7:20PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Ok, think I will let this one go and if no ripe fruit by Christmas, kill it off.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 8:53PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

I killed it. I am going to start Landis by seed soon.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™