Overnight low danger zone.

alpheusOctober 5, 2011

We have a cold snap hitting the area for the next few days and I still have 2/3 of my tomatoes on the plants waiting to ripen. I expect they will be ready in 10-14 days if they survive this cold snap. Overnight lows are projected to be 41-44F with lots of rain. The temps are expected to go back up to relatively warmish fall temps after that with lows in the upper 50's.

Everything I can find in the forums about lows refers to young, newly planted tomatoes not fully mature plants. At approximately what temps should I worry about my mature plants being in danger from overnight lows?

Thanks

Jake

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

fortys are ok. i have 34 degrees at this minute and getting worse the next couple of days. but im picking everything today and let them rippen inside.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 8:25AM
colokid(5)

Yea, I have a bunch of green ones too. The question I have,do they really grow any more if i leave them a few more days or might I just as well go ahead abd pick them

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 9:47AM
PunkRotten(9b)

If they have a little bit of color on them they can be picked and will ripen just fine days later. I picked a bunch of all green ones before, even small green ones that looked really immature. They all did ripen eventually. The really green and immature ones took a while though, several weeks. However, they did not look too good. They were wrinkly looking and I did not eat them.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
Yeah - we have blossoms on our cherry tomatoes in Zone...
hudson___wy
Critique Varieties please for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Juliet Grape Tomato
Are these tomatoes supposed to be this big? I guess...
dirtygardener73
Sponsored Products
Walker Leather Sofa - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Portrait 5.5 ft. Air Bath Tub in Almond brown K-1457-G-47
Home Depot
Isabella Earthen Bronze Three-Light Flush Mount
$221.40 | Bellacor
Kartell | Upper Step Ladder
$450.00 | YLighting
Sweet Jojo Designs Boy's 'Construction Zone' 4-piece Twin Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Vinotemp 24 Bottle Dual-Zone Touch Screen Wine Cooler
Overstock.com
elizabethW Collection Silk Sleep Mask
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Gold Lion Wall Sculpture