Mexican Midget

tracydr(9b)November 11, 2009

Has anyone tried the Mexican Midget or any other Mexican "wild type" tomato? From the description it sounds like a tomato that would do well in our climate. Just wondering if anyone, especially in the hot desert has tried it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

It sounds as though the Mexican Midget is similar to the Florida Wild Tomato which I planted last year. Love it! A rampant, disease free (at least for me in my area of the south) plant with current-type fruit which is very sweet. I found that it is a weed as this spring young seedlings were sprouting all over the yard. Easy to remove the unwanted ones, however, and I just left a few to climb on fencing. To my surprise found some seedlings growing in dense shade in an area which never receives water. Left them there and they grew well producing lots of tomatoes. Our local chef at a four star restaurant was happy to receive them and created a dish featuring the tiny tomatoes. Suggest you give them a try. I call them the 'gardener's reward' as it is impossible to walk by a plant and not pick a handful to munch.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 2:44PM
lazy_gardens

Tracy -
One trick is to grow short-season tomatoes developed for Canada and Russia, to get them in and fruiting before hot weather. Next sprint I'll try a couple of rissian varieties.

I'm getting a second crop out of Matt's Wild Cherry (tiny cherry tomato from Mexico ... very aggressive plant with hundreds of intensely flavored fruit) and Roma from Home Depot. It went inactive in mid August from heat stress but it's coming back with a huge crop.

I'm getting a first crop from Early Girl planted in late September - they are a short-season variety.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 4:47PM
tracydr(9b)

Well, I've ordered seeds of some very short season russian and canadian varieties, plus Matt's cherry. I also got a couple of varieties that are say they do well in heat. (not much hope for them).
I figure if nothing else I can have two really quick cool weather seasons early spring and late fall/winter. I have almost 30 varieties to try, something has to work!!
I wanted to try some of almost everything. (very few beefsteak though, have little hope of big beefsteaks doing well here)
Lots of plums, pastes, cherrys. I'll can/freeze,make salads, pickles, salsas, eat fresh. Yummie!!

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 3:08AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

all those small tiny tomatoes taste really good, but they're sooooooooo tedious to pick!

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Baby tomatoes with yellowing leaves
My tomatoes plants are about 5 weeks old. They have...
libraryannie
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Bathtubs Underscore 6 ft. Air Bath Tub in Mexican Sand K-1174-G-33
Home Depot
KOHLER Toilets San Souci 1-piece 1.28 GPF Elongated Toilet in Mexican Sand
Home Depot
KOHLER Bathroom Portrait Pedestal Combo Bathroom Sink in Mexican Sand
Home Depot
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Underscore 6 ft. Air Bath Tub in Mexican Sand
Home Depot
KOHLER Bathroom Portrait Pedestal in Mexican Sand K-2223-33
Home Depot