length/intensity of direct sun for San Marzano tomatoes

VIM_731November 6, 2012

I am a relatively amateur gardener (3rd grow season coming up this spring)i love growing tomatoes and peppers i have grown San Marzanos in pots 2 years straight now, both times in direct sun for about 8-10 hours each day between march 20th or so up until late july (had great results) i am going to grow them in less intense (later in the day) direct sunlight for probably only 4-7 hours of direct mid-day to late-day direct sun. can someone let me know how they might do in those light conditions? will they produce as well? less,more?? please help so i can make a decision before its too close to sowing time.

Marc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

going to grow them in less intense (later in the day) direct sunlight for probably only 4-7 hours of direct mid-day to late-day direct sun. can someone let me know how they might do in those light conditions?

Not nearly as well. Tomatoes, regardless of the variety, require 6-8 hours of direct sunlight for best results. Less hours and/or less intensity results in lanky/leggy plants with reduced production and more inclination toward disease and pest problems.

Dave

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 1:39PM
James_Coale

Tomatoes need six to eight hours of light, so be sure to put your containers in sunny locations, and if need be, move them as the sun changes position.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Juicy Tomatoes

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:01AM
tytobyto

I'm new here so I don't know if my location is easy to determine... it's Chicago. I've grown San Marzano Redorta (seeds from Italy) for two years and have given my extra seedlings to neighbors. We've all experienced the same thing: plentiful large tomatoes that refuse to ripen (for months they just hang there green, not growing larger, but showing no color or coloring in small blotches).

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™