length/intensity of direct sun for San Marzano tomatoes

VIM_731November 6, 2012

I am a relatively amateur gardener (3rd grow season coming up this spring)i love growing tomatoes and peppers i have grown San Marzanos in pots 2 years straight now, both times in direct sun for about 8-10 hours each day between march 20th or so up until late july (had great results) i am going to grow them in less intense (later in the day) direct sunlight for probably only 4-7 hours of direct mid-day to late-day direct sun. can someone let me know how they might do in those light conditions? will they produce as well? less,more?? please help so i can make a decision before its too close to sowing time.

Marc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

going to grow them in less intense (later in the day) direct sunlight for probably only 4-7 hours of direct mid-day to late-day direct sun. can someone let me know how they might do in those light conditions?

Not nearly as well. Tomatoes, regardless of the variety, require 6-8 hours of direct sunlight for best results. Less hours and/or less intensity results in lanky/leggy plants with reduced production and more inclination toward disease and pest problems.

Dave

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 1:39PM
James_Coale

Tomatoes need six to eight hours of light, so be sure to put your containers in sunny locations, and if need be, move them as the sun changes position.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Juicy Tomatoes

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:01AM
tytobyto

I'm new here so I don't know if my location is easy to determine... it's Chicago. I've grown San Marzano Redorta (seeds from Italy) for two years and have given my extra seedlings to neighbors. We've all experienced the same thing: plentiful large tomatoes that refuse to ripen (for months they just hang there green, not growing larger, but showing no color or coloring in small blotches).

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Pinetree Garden Seed Company for Cuostralee
Is Pinetree Garden Seed a reliable source for tomato...
matthias_lang
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Tell apart a Cherokee Purple and Black from Tula?
This year I decided to plant a mixed bag of seeds since...
brandon_the_random
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Sponsored Products
Piattini Pendant by LBL Lighting
$1,676.00 | Lumens
Possini Midtown 23 1/2" Wide Satin Bath Bar Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Bruck | Clareo Spot Uni-Plug Fixture
$172.50 | YLighting
7.72" Russia Ash Wood White Shade Hanging Lamp
ParrotUncle
Sierra Vista Lamp
$169.99 | Dot & Bo