Potato-Leaved Cherry & Paste Types?

woodcutter2008November 24, 2009

I posted this in the heirlooms forum, but looks like the activity level is pretty low there...

2010 is going to be "the year of potato-leaved tomatoes" for my garden and Earth Boxes. Right now I'm planning on Stupice, Magnus, Brandywine OTV, and Brandy Boy. (Plus some regular-leaved varieties.)

I've looked for (but not found) any varieties of paste/plum and only one cherry tomato (Galinas) that have potato-type leaves. Anyone know of any?

Has anyone grown "Tumbler F1" (not "Tumbling Tom") and noted if Tumbler had potato leaves? As I grew it last summer, it appeared to be, but I've never seen it mentioned in any catalog that way,

-WC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnw_d(8BC)

Here's a good PL cherry .......

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandysweet Plum

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 9:20PM
tania_in_vancouver(7b PNW)

Yellow Submarine is a yellow pear-shaped PL cherry.

I agree with D. wrt Brandysweet Plum - it is a very good one.

Tumbler F1 is regular leaf.

Yellow Pygmy is a dwarf PL yellow cherry.

Tania

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Pygmy

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 12:34PM
HoosierCheroKee(IN6)

There should be a rainbow of interesting cherry to golf ball size, potato leaf varieties in the next few years due to ongoing breeding projects by a few enthusiasts using yellow, gold, bicolor, purple, pink and green when ripe types were one or both parents are potato leaf. Stay tuned.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 1:19PM
anthony_toronto

This summer I grew out some seeds saved from last year's plants that were grown from seeds saved from some purple haze plants. One of this year's PL plants was awfully close to black cherry in appearance, taste, production, and flavour profile. Saved seeds, will see what comes up next year.

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 1:28AM
mitch_in_the_garden

Got lucky with a pack of Tonodose des Conores red cherry from Baker Creek which yielded a red, regular leaf cherry and a yellow, potato leaf cherry. Dont know the variety. Very good vigor and flavor.

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 9:36AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Galina's Yellow is another excellent PL with gold cherries, which I like very much.

I don't know your reason for wanting PL paste types, but if for the thicker leaf epidermis you might want to consider Martino's Roma which has rugose foliage which also has a thicker leaf epidermis.

Carolyn

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 11:04AM
woodcutter2008

I'm going to try Galinas this year. Found your book very interesting reading, and I'm going to try several of your recommended varieties next year. I still may try Martino's Roma, although my own experience with Rugose foliage plants is no better than regular leaves as regards Septoria. Potato leaf types might be a little better based on my very limited experience. One that I had very good (Septoria) luck with was Southern Night (PL). Brandy Boy might be a little better than regular leaf types -- I've grown it several times, and it is good, even if prone to producing some odd-shapes.
-WC

> Galina's Yellow is another excellent PL with gold cherries, which I like very much.

I don't know your reason for wanting PL paste types, but if for the thicker leaf epidermis you might want to consider Martino's Roma which has rugose foliage which also has a thicker leaf epidermis.

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Better Boy vs Brandy Boy
The fruit test - - - we planted equal quantity of both...
hudson___wy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™