Cherry Tomato Recomendations?

pisces7386November 21, 2011

I know this question has been asked a thousand times, but here goes one thousand and one.

I am looking to grow some cherry tomatoes next summer and I wanted some input on suggested varieties. I grew Sunsugar this past summer and loved it! I also had a husky cherry red which was good but not as yummy as the sunsugar :) Do you recommend sticking with the sunsugar (since I loved it and it grew well for me)or do you have another variety I should try? Many people seem to love the sweet 100 or sweet million, but I do like the sunsugar's orange color quite a bit. Finally I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any heirlooms that are similar to sunsugar, I would love to save the seeds, but there is no point cause its a hybrid. Thanks all!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suncitylinda

Hi Kate! Sun Cherry and Sun Sugar come up often as fav cherry toms, it seems we all love them! There are some open pollinated forms of Sun Cherry, not sure about Sun Sugar. Black Cherry is open pollinated and many people also rave about it. Tomatoes do not need to be heirloom for the seeds to come true, they just need to be open pollinated as opposed to hybrid. I will be trying Green Doctors Frosted for the first time next year, and also Tommy Toe; Neither are Hybrid. So many tomatoes, so little time...... LInda

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 10:07PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Sun Gold and Black Cherry always win the best cherry discussions here - the search will pull up many discussions about 'favorite/best cherry' for you if you want to read them. Linked one of the largest discussions below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Best cherry tomato discussion

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 11:43AM
pisces7386

Thank you both! I think I am gonna change my mind about what I will plant back and forth all winter long. It will be fun thinking about it though, lol.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 4:57PM
suncitylinda

I meant Sun Gold (wrote Sun Cherry) has some open pollinated forms. LInda

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Why Black Krim Tomatoes grow like that.
Started seedlings of Black Krim Tomato in Asia last...
mmm100
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™