Last one standing!

gardengyrl(Ca9)December 8, 2011

This year's most hardy tomato award goes to Wapsipinicon Peach! These hardy souls weathered several frosts until finally succumbing to 3 nights of freezing temps. December 6th RIP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
californian

Here in Orange County, CA the last two standing out of 26 varieties I planted were an Opalka and a Black Cherry. They have survived a week of 35 to 38 degree night time lows. Even though it still had green foliage on it and still had tomatoes on it I pulled the Opalka yesterday, and will pull the Black Cherry today even though it still has green foliage and some green tomatoes on it because I have no hope of them ripening with this unusual cold spell we have been having. The partially ripe Opalkas still tasted good, but the partially ripened Black Cherries had a terrible taste.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 4:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I don't know what variety I have out there. Pulled all the markers when I thought I was going to yank the plant back in July. Decided to keep it along with a few others. The others succumbed to winds from TS Lee in September. The one that remains is a beefsteak ... probably Beefy Boy or Church. We had lows in the 20s & 30s for about a week, so I covered it and stuck a light in the cage. I see blush on one of the tomatoes today. Would love to have a fresh tomato for Christmas.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™