Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes - Under Water Them!

yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)December 25, 2011

My Sun Gold plant was very productive but I didn't care for the taste of the tomatoes. They were on the tart side and I didn't detect that fruity flavor that others report. And they had thick skin.

So I added a couple of tablespoons of salt to the container soil to see if that would help. Didn't notice a difference.

Then I decided to try to kill the plant by not watering it and during this time we were still getting into the high 80's so it was quite warm. I couldn't believe how long the plant survived with no water and mind you I had to water my Cherokee Purple 2-3x a day to stop it from wilting during this time.

Guess what? The fruit that I picked during this period were fantastic - sweet with a hint of tang and a complex fruity taste that is hard to describe. And the skins weren't as thick.

So I learned that with Sun Gold you have to under water them to get that delicious taste that everyone raves about. At least under water them compared to my beefsteaks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

I'm glad that you finally did get to taste the wonderful fruity taste of a ripe one which you attribute to underwatering. But where I live the water comes out of the sky and so for me and others we have no control over that. LOL

And yet I have one plant of Sungold F1 each season and they've always tasted great which is why I grow it each year. I think one of the mistakes that some make is to pick them when they aren't fully orange, as in really ripe, aside from any watering issues.

Carolyn

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 10:34AM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

I think one of the mistakes that some make is to pick them when they aren't fully orange, as in really ripe, aside from any watering issues.

I was waiting for them to get orange, but I thought in general that you could pick tomatoes when you see color break and they would ripen fine on your kitchen countertop? Is it different for the cherry tomatoes?

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 11:09AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I never pick cherry tomatoes early.

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 11:31AM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

I never pick cherry tomatoes early.

I wonder why cherries are different in that respect from the full-sized tomatoes?

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 11:48AM
barrie2m_

Cherry tomatoes and especially Sun Gold will split in most cases where they are allowed to fully ripen with water present, either from within or from above. For that reason I prefer SunSugar over Sun Gold even though they will crack to a lesser extent but have about the same flavor and texture. Regardless, an unripe tomatoe will never taste as good as a ripe one and vine ripened still trumps counter top ripened IMO.

Bookmark   December 26, 2011 at 6:51PM
catman529(6b)

I under watered my whole garden last year. Some water at the beginning to help transplant shock, then maybe once or twice for the rest of the whole season. Did well through 90+ hot weather and produced fine. The bugs I think were a bit of a problem but other than that, I got good tomatoes and saved a ton of water.

Basically if you don't water much early in the season, they grow deeper roots and tap into more water in the ground so you don't have to water them.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 7:46PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

I have realized that underwatering and leaving the fruit on the vine as long as possible is the way to go for the best tasting tomatoes. I grow in containers in the dry season here so I have to water more than those of you who plant in the ground. I have to watch out for BER since we get no rain at all this time of year.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 12:37PM
timmy1(6a ri)

What Bmoser Said ^^^^

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™