Heirloom Seedling planning

readheads(6)December 19, 2011

I am getting ready to start seed over the next month. My standard approach is:

Start seed New Years, pot up twice, put in ground April 15 (in cloche) by then the plants are 3 feet tall with baby tomatoes. I get ripe tomatoes by July 4th. I only get ~6 hrs of sun and if I don't do this I get ripe tomatoes in the middle of August.

Questions:

1. The above timeline is ~100 days to 3 foot from seed and then another ~100 days to ripe for a total of 200 days from seed to ripe. This seems excessive, what do you think ?

2. When raising the seedlings, I do NOT remove the flowers nor pea tomatoes because they will be my first ripe. Do you think this inpacts my yields ?

My yield from 20 plants over the years varies from 400-800 tomatoes although 2011 was only ~200 due to the hot weather messing with polination.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

I'm hesitant to comment since your methods are a bit controversial, yet somewhat what I've been doing for many years. The biggest difference is that I transplant 10-12 week old plants in a greenhouse soil in early March.

In essense you need to really pay attention to pot size and light intensity after seedlings reach the 8-10 week stage of growth. Depending on variety you will likely only need to wait 50-70 days from fruit formation til ripening.

Those first tomatoes are worth their weight in gold and I would suggest merely thinning the first few blossom clusters to 2-3 fruits if plants are displaying good growth at that stage. Keeping temperatures optimum is important once flowers are forming but you need to arrange for more sun. We have adequate sunlight in March & April at our latitude but 6 hours of it is hardly enough. Cut that tree down now.

Bookmark   December 20, 2011 at 10:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springlift34

I agree with the above. However, I have seen firsthand from seed that things are never accurate or accountable when it comes to growing life seed.

Take care,
Travis

Bookmark   December 20, 2011 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™