Recovering from THRIPS and tomato spotted wilt

RedTomesoleDecember 2, 2012

So, I've just realized that I've got a major thrip problem, and Tomato spotted wilt Virus has affected my entire crop of tomatoes, chillis and bell peppers. :(

I'm starting the sad task of destroying my 30-odd plants. I've hung on for as long as I could, and sprayed with soap and done other organic methods, but the plants are too way gone now for anything.

I'm pretty devastated, but need some practical advice about what to do now, because I pretty much want to get some new seeds in right away.

I grow in containers, because space and light are issues in my garden - so it's not so difficult to pull down the infected plants (all of them) and throw away the soil. But, I will have to put the containers BACK in the same positions they were in... give or take a foot or so.

I can bleach the pots, etc

Once I've done that and gotten new soil, what precautions can I take to prevent the next crop from suffering the same fate?

How do I prevent thrips?

Can they hang around?

Can I get them in soil (the soil here is really bad quality, and not the 'western standard type compost' that I would be used to at home.

Any advice, please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

The only reliable alternative that I have found is to grow TSWV resistant varieties. There are quite a few of them available. Never had it affect hot pepper but occasionally bell peppers. Some years I would not have a tomato were it not for resistant varieties.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:35AM
sharonrossy

Well for sure bleach and rinse out the containers and like farmerdill said, look for resistant varieties. you can start to spray with the mixtures in your previous threads as a precaution to avoid thrips from starting. I also am a container gardener for the most part, and location won't make that much of a difference, I don't think. You need a clean container and fresh soil - make sure it is for containers and not soil for the garden.
Sharon

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 5:55PM
sharonrossy

Oh, and apparently, a diluted mixture of hydrogen peroxide can help - the regular strength like you'd find in a pharmacy. I read that on another forum.
Sharon

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 5:56PM
RedTomesole

Thanks I will try these suggestions.

Resistant varieties is a very good idea!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™