Can the tomato blossoms make it?

EcopalDecember 15, 2011

Hey Everybody

Well it looks like my tomato blossoms are finally starting to become actual tomatoes. I do not know if it is the drop in temperature here in south Florida or if it is the tomato set spray I used. Unfortunately today a big avocado fell fight on top of my Brandywines and snapped one of the branches. I cut it off and put it in some soil. But the blossoms are still on it and they are almost done pollinating. If I leave the blossoms on the cutting will it become a tomato even though its only a foot tall? I know it takes longer for the plant to establish itself but I would hate to remove blossoms after I have tried so hard to keep them from falling off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edymnion(7a)

Yes, they can survive and produce.

This happened to me as well last summer. Freak wind storm came out of nowhere and ripped a couple limbs off my blue tomato plant that had blossoms and even some small tomatoes on it. My first time growing a blue, and I really wanted to keep as many as I could get, so I potted the torn limbs up and hoped for the best.

Those limbs not only survived, but the fruit that was on them survived, and they continued to produce for the rest of the season.

Wasn't covered in as big of fruits as the ones on the main plant, but they were producing. Didn't even use any kind of rooting hormone, just stuck the torn end in some potting soil and crossed my fingers.

It'll look like they're wilting and dying for a while, but just keep watering them normally and they'll bounce back.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Red Robin, Snow Fairy, Tiny Tim in indoor hydroponics
I'm trying these three varieties primarily because...
delaware
How many Tomato Plants can I put in this planter?
I just bought a 2x4 (10 inches deep) Ceder raised planter. How...
dragon49
Sponsored Products
Covington Dark Espresso Space Saver
Overstock.com
Riley Chrome Four-Light Bath Light
$133.20 | Bellacor
David Bromstad "See Blue" Artwork II
Grandin Road
Soft Blue Damask Rug
$99.99 | zulily
Cherry Tomato Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag
Lamps Plus