Just Government and Stinky Diapers

kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)October 19, 2012

When do the needs of the many supersede the needs of the individual?

It seems to me that this is one of the "unspoken" issues that we as a society are currently facing.... unfettered individual "liberty" vs what is needed for the welfare, safety and security of the entire citizenry and country as a whole. Many of the economic conflicts we're currently seeing stem from this root cause... specifically taxes and regulation.

What is a just government's role in resolving the inevitable conflicts that arise between these competing needs? When should government intervene to preserve the common welfare and the common good? Or, are we all on our own?

OK for Driver to Kick Smelly Baby Off Seattle Bus

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM ET

SEATTLE (AP) � Metro Transit in Seattle has apologized but says it won't discipline the driver who asked a woman with a baby to get off a bus because of a stinky diaper.

Metro told KOMO (http://is.gd/ywJ5LB ) the driver did not violate policy when she acted for the comfort of other passengers.

An apology is not enough for the mother, Nichole Hakimian (hah-KIM'-ee-an), who threatens to sue.

She was taking her 1-year-old son to a clinic Tuesday when his diarrhea became an odor issue. She says the driver insisted she exit.

Hakimian says she found a place to change the baby and caught another bus to the clinic where her son was diagnosed with a stomach bug.

Metro says the driver is a nine-year employee with an excellent record.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

That's a really tough one. Given the fact that most people don't spend hours on a bus and that the baby was ill and the mother was taking him to a clinic, I would think it would have been more humane to worry about the needs of the mother and baby and endure some olfactory discomfort.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:10PM
jodik_gw

I would agree with Ingrid... when did our individual comfort override the needs of an innocent, and sick, child? The adults on that bus could have dealt with the sick child for the short ride to the clinic, where he obviously needed to go!

What is wrong with people? Grow up!

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:25PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Interesting....

I think there are limits to the rights of individuals when it comes to the common good.

Sounds to me like the kid was a biohazard.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 2:48PM
Circus Peanut

lol kwoods! Kinda my thoughts exactly. Not a big fan of baby miasma. But who am I to say "take a private cab instead!', either?

I wonder how this would be resolved in Europe or other places where very few people drive within cities and public transpo is much more frequented by everyone.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 3:02PM
don_socal

Two hour bus trip each way twice a week more or less with two transfers. Saves a lot of gas money but the drive would be 25 mins. Most buses smell like locker rooms and some of the passengers are street people that don't have access to showers as often as us "privileged" people. Crying children are difficult to bear but what can you do but try to entertain or ignore. Have seen some people that I would have kicked off, rude, scary or just too talkative. Only seen one kicked off for very loud verbal argument that looked to escalate to physical. Interesting people watching. If she had the means to change and bag up the leavings it would not have bothered me but some have sensitive olfactory responses.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 3:18PM
kacee2002

As well as dealing with the sick baby the mother was PG with another child. She was 2 blocks from the clinic when asked to leave the bus. 2 blocks uphill with a sick toddler, pregnant. I think the driver could have taken her the 2 blocks.
At the same time I think the idea of sueing is ridiculous. A very sincere apology and maybe a bus pass would be plenty.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
A Cultural Cleansing
ISIS torched Mosul's library. "...books represent...
duluthinbloomz4
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
The President has vetoed the Keystone XL Pipeline Bill
Obama vetoes Keystone XL bill "Because this act...
momj47
And now Gov. Walker - is it "pile on the President" week?
Gov. Scott Walker: ‘I don't know’ whether Obama...
momj47
GOP flawed charge that Obama's immigration policy is unconstitutional
GOP leaders have been gloating that the courts agree...
dublinbay z6 (KS)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™