A bright spot for Nik on immigration

esh_gaOctober 9, 2012

Against the backdrop of Georgia's tough new immigration law, unprecedented numbers of foreign-born residents are taking the trouble to become U.S. citizens, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates analyzed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The state saw an estimated increase of more than 43,000 naturalized citizens between 2010 and 2011, a surge of 13 percent. That put it in the top five among all states - along with Alabama, South Carolina and Utah, which are also among the handful of states that have passed laws designed to curb illegal immigration.

Fear of being questioned about their legal status is prompting more immigrants who are eligible for citizenship to complete the process, said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials.

"People can feel more protected if they become citizens," Gonzalez said. "It's a natural inclination for self-preservation."

Look how well that turned out. Now they can vote too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlanta paper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

Yes that will help the Southern lock on the Conservative vote. Jeb Bush said that the minority will no longer be a minority and the party had to become more inclusive or they will not win elections.

The immigrants have been forced to unlock the gate. It is becoming harder and harder for the Conservative to take America back.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 2:34PM
jodik_gw

Actually, I think deportation was the hoped for result...

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 5:06PM
jillinnj

I was thinking the same thing, Jodi! You know, be careful what you wish for...

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 5:26PM
adoptedbyhounds

Thanks for that information, Esh. Neither of my DILs are US citizens, and I hope they will start working on their own US citizenship soon! When we all go out as a family, we look like our own little United Nations.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:24PM
elvis

I know what you mean, Mik. My family too. A little difficult for one niece, as she's deaf and doesn't understand English yet. That's a tough one...

Fabulous news about the new numbers!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Does free speech apply
I find her texts disgusting but should she be tried...
labrea_gw
Oh, Golly, shoulda seen this coming: Westboro to picket Nimoy funeral
don't know The Inquisitr's stance or standing, but...
sylviatexas2
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
Congratulations Nebraska
They saw this coming and were changing the forms in...
labrea_gw
Walmart raises minimum for wage for hourly employees
This was announced several days ago and I though it...
chase_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™