Polling Firms

fouquieria(10b)October 5, 2012

With the advent of these shill polling firms, do you think they've affected the way Americans perceive polls in general? I just hang up when a pollster calls me. Rasmussen has come out with a massive amount of new polls today. So has We Ask America. We Ask America's CEO is a serious GOP donor. There's a couple others but I can't think off the top of my head their names. I think what it's done is muddied the waters for legitimate polling firms.

-Ron-

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

Only if you don't do your homework, and are apt to believe something just because...

To the rational thinker, these shill polls are nothing... they don't mean squat.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:32PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I just hang up when a pollster calls me.

In the period before Arianna founded the Huffington Post, and in the afterglow of her failed run for governor, she was trying to launch a national campaign of "say no to polls." I don't know if the L.A. public radio stations reach S.D. County, but it seemed at the time that she was constantly on the airwaves promoting her idea.

At least HuffPo keeps her off the radio in L.A.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:52PM
david52 Zone 6

I'm getting at least one polling call an evening. Half the time, its a robot, half the time its a real person. Swing state blues.

Some of them have been interesting, eg asking about the Libya situation and the 47% comment.

What annoys me is the way the questions are worded - does what happened in Libya make you feel more favorable, less favorable towards Obama, then strongly not so strongly. What?

So I've answered about 20 polls this cycle, but the last two evenings, I've just said no.

Only one push-poll. "Does the fact that Obama kills unborn babies make you....." click

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:59PM
patriciae_gw(07)

Poll pushing can be very subtle. It isnt always obvious. If you ever answer a poll you are going to get polled some more. I can only think that if I am repeatedly being polled the the poll must be pushed since it ought to be random so why am I being polled so much? I started saying no and suddenly no more polls.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 6:24PM
elvis

I love those phone calls--and in this state, we get a lot. I'm very consistent--I always answer as though I'm a dem/lib. It's like playing a game. I wonder if the questions change once the first few are answered.

Guess I'm the "margin of error".

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 7:17PM
fouquieria(10b)

I always answer as though I'm a dem/lib. It's like playing a game.

That's been my impression of you in here too.

-Ron-

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:03PM
sjerin

Imo, These polls are nothing but manipulation of the uninformed masses. They're meant to flatter and steer the "polled" in a certain direction.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:06PM
steve2416

Thank goodness for caller ID. If I don't recognize the name or number, I don't have time to pick up the phone.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 1:20PM
jodik_gw

It's easy enough to hang up on both recorded messages, and those live pollsters who call from time to time. A "no, thank you" is all it takes.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 2:21PM
jillinnj

This is exactly why one should only pay attention to Nate Silver's 538 blog.

I feel left out living in NJ. Not exactly a swing state, so I don't get polled.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 6:45PM
david52 Zone 6

I saw this morning that he was saying that there is some skewing with the automated polls to informed voters - only 2-3% bother to answer, everybody else just hangs up. So its only those who follow politics who will take the 5 minutes to answer.

With a live person, the response is higher.

And I noted, as a neutral observer, that he is seeing a pretty good bounce from the first debate, where Romney radically shifted to the middle.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Now THIS is a “hot topic”
.Better than a Rita’s water ice on 1st day of spring. Sorry...
Pidge
Curiouser and Curiouser
Iran Case Is So Secret It Can't Go On Some things are...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Anyone remember this?
I just love this show. Just thought about it again...
asleep_in_the_garden
Donald Trump to launch exploratory committee
because... "the only one who can make America...
duluthinbloomz4
Supremes Uphold Voter ID Law
The Supreme Court let stand a 7th Circuit Court ruling...
Christopher_H
Sponsored Products
House of Troy Oxford 16" Wide Bronze Picture Light
Lamps Plus
Worthy Leather Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
WHITE by Sarah Peyton 10-inch Traditional Firm Support Twin-size Memory Foam Mat
Overstock.com
Stearns & Foster Luxury Plush Tight Top Mattress Set
$1,199.99 | zulily
Vantage Small Bench in Natural
$299.00 | LexMod
Alpine Furniture Lafayette 3-Drawer Nightstand with Braided Veneer Accent Border
$359.00 | Hayneedle
Florence Knoll Style Armchair-Red - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Medium-Firm Mattress and Box Spring Set
FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™