Susan Rice Isn't very bright?

heri_clesNovember 15, 2012

That what McCain has said.

Yet a search on Susan Rice reveals that she has more than respectable academic credentials:

"Rice attended Stanford University, where she received a Truman Scholarship, and graduated with a B.A. in history in 1986. She was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

Awarded a Rhodes Scholarship, Rice attended New College, Oxford, where she earned a M.Phil. in 1988 and D.Phil. in 1990. The Chatham House-British International Studies Association honored her dissertation titled "Commonwealth Initiative in Zimbabwe, 1979-1980: Implication for International Peacekeeping" as the UK's most distinguished in international relations."

Further, after listening to Ms. Rice over the air on several occasions it is clear that her intellect and demeanor are exactly what our country needs from leaders in high positions. She is always measured and diplomatic with her words and extremely professional with her demeanor. McCain stating that she is not very bright is a provocation aimed at women and African Americans.

What in the he11 is he talking about?

Here is a link that might be useful: McCain ranked 894/899

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lily316(z5PA)

This said by the guy who picked dimwitted Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 1:54AM
jodik_gw

Yeah... in order to denigrate someone else, it helps to have a fairly decent track record to stand on, oneself. Choosing Palin kind of tarnishes that record, in my opinion.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 6:30AM
marquest(z5 PA)

When this all comes out it is going to be a Republican supporters other shoe dropping on their head. Just like losing the Presidential election. This is going to put them into another depression.

It is pretty obvious as was stated yesterday she is an easy target to get to the President. She and McCain had the same info that she repeated on that Sunday. This is a CIA, Security issue and they all know that fact. There is more problems with Petraeus security.

It is a slight of hand going on "look over there do not look here". Even though Petaeus is gone they continue to want to protect him and the Republican brand of the "best at security". They have lost the upper hand in that department, The President took out Bin Laden and more terrorist than Bush did in 8 years and with his drone use he is pretty ruthless with that policy.

It is all and all a game. I am betting on the President. There are going to be some embarrassed love to talk about Bengazi people. When Isaa did not say another word and Romney dropped the issue I knew then they knew this has nothing to do with the President.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 8:58AM
momj47(7A)

She's certainly a lot brighter than Paula Broadwell!

I think it's hilarious that the GOP is opposing her, considering the "not very bright" women they seem to put forward. Maybe they'd like that Bachmann woman to be Secretary of State.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:58AM
kimka

Isn't John McCain the one who announced that he really didn't know that much about the economy on Meet the Press (1/27/08)? And other of his quotes:

"I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated." (November 2005)

"The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should," but "I've got Greenspan's book." (December 2007)

Video files are a real pain (or is that Palin), aren't they?

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:09AM
ann_t

McCain is losing it. Repeated more of the same on the Today Show today. He has really aged since the last election. He is 76 years old. Maybe it is time for him to retire.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:13AM
labrea_gw

It's the Current go to republican party line in lets pick a fight!
Thanks for your service McCain now pack it in your behaving like a stupid ass!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:25AM
david52_gw

Here's the exchange with Rice and Bob Schieffer re the Benghazi attack:

BOB SCHIEFFER: And joining us now, Susan Rice, the U.N. ambassador - our U.N. ambassador. Madam Ambassador, The [the Libyan president of the National Assembly] says that this is something that has been in the planning stages for months. I understand you had been saying that you think it was spontaneous? Are we not on the same page here?

SUSAN RICE: Well, Bob, let me tell you what we understand to be the assessment at present. First of all, very importantly, as you discussed with the president, there is an investigation that the United States government will launch, led by the FBI that has begun.

SCHIEFFER: But they are not there yet.

RICE: They are not on the ground yet but they have already begun looking at all sorts of evidence of various sorts already available to them and to us. And they will get on the ground and continue the investigation.

So we'll want to see the results of that investigation to draw any definitive conclusions. But based on the best information we have to date, what our assessment is as of the present is in fact what - it began spontaneously in Benghazi as a reaction to what had transpired some hours earlier in Cairo, where, of course, as you know, there was a violent protest outside of our embassy sparked by this hateful video.

But soon after that spontaneous protest began outside of our consulate in Benghazi, we believe that it looks like extremist elements, individuals, joined in that effort with heavy weapons of the sort that are, unfortunately, readily now available in Libya post-revolution. And that it spun from there into something much, much more violent.

SCHIEFFER: But you do not agree with him that this was something that had been plotted out several months ago?

RICE: We do not - we do not have information at present that leads us to conclude that this was premeditated or preplanned.

SCHIEFFER: Do you agree or disagree with him that al-Qaeda had some part in this?

RICE: Well, we'll have to find out that out. I mean, I think it's clear that there were extremist elements that joined in and escalated the violence. Whether they were al-Qaeda affiliates, whether they were Libyan-based extremists or al-Qaeda itself I think is one of the things we'll have to determine.

This is what McCain is attacking. Who looks a fool?

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:34AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

McCain? Just an uniformed guess.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:42AM
esh_ga

Every one of her statements was qualified:

what we understand to be the assessment at present

we'll want to see the results of that investigation to draw any definitive conclusions

based on the best information we have to date

is one of the things we'll have to determine

we'll have to find out that out

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:46AM
momj47(7A)

Here's an interesting article, reminding us of the "lying" that the GOP excused, on the part of Condi Rice.

McCain was so quick to excuse Condi Rice for making remarks of much greater import, it seems rather unsporting to quickly rush to judgment and mischaracterization in the case of Susan Rice

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:23AM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Swing! .... and a miss.

What I really want to see is Rice's intellectual firepower going up against McCain & Graham in some kind of confirmation hearing. THAT would be a lot of fun!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:41AM
fouquieria(10b)

Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Elizabeth Warren, Susan Rice, Michelle Obama.

Write off women, write off Latinos, write off blacks, write off gays. There's a bright future out there and if old, white guys don't want to join the bus, well that's their choice.

-Ron-

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:28PM
kitchenwitch

I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin, her policies, her beliefs, or the way she comports herself. She would have been a disastrous VP, or god forbid, President. But I do not think she is dumb.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:36PM
marquest(z5 PA)

McCain Misses Classified Briefing While Blasting White House

He is very concerned. When you dig a ditch for someone you eventually trip and fall in the ditch you dig.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briefing

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:37PM
grapeleaves

So McCain really wants to get to the bottom of this, but skips a meeting on Benghazi yesterday.

According to Slate

"Josh Rogin reports that John McCain and Rand Paul, both of them very public critics of the administration over Benghazi, skipped yesterday's private hearing on the debacle. And McCain spent basically the entirety of Wednesday criticizing the administration -- TV in the morning, a press conference in the late morning, a Senate colloquy after President Obama attacked him.
"Senator McCain was absent from the hearing due to a scheduling error," says McCain spokesman Brian Rogers.
Why does this matter? The current round of Benghazi hearings are closed, and senators are not allowed to talk about what occurred inside them. "You'll have to read the New York Times to find out," joked Marco Rubio this week. McCain wants public, select committee hearings, which have been accurately described as "Watergate-style" -- public, on TV, key players dragged in front of a national audience. And neither the Speaker of the House nor the Senate Majority Leader want to take this step."

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:46PM
ann_t

Posted by kitchenwitch (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 12:36

I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin, her policies, her beliefs, or the way she comports herself. She would have been a disastrous VP, or god forbid, President. But I do not think she is dumb.

I'm not sure about that. Just the fact that she thought she was qualified to be the VP makes me wonder about her intelligences. Her ego was definitely big.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:59PM
labrea_gw

Great line from Dangerous Liaisons.
"Like most intellectuals, he's intensely stupid."
There's cunning intelligence, cleverness but I would say that made someone smart!
You have Directors of Corporations who drive them into the ground I always think of the old Business machine Giant SCM for that ( that was an entire culture of moronic business decisions by people with multiple degrees).

As far as bright lights mega wattage goes it often boils down to opinions in the end!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 2:52PM
elvis

Based upon a review of her education, she is probably very intelligent. I thought liberals disliked "trust fund babies", though.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:18PM
labrea_gw

"I thought"
ah that might be the root of the headache right there!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:18PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

How many colleges and universities did Palin attend to achieve her degree in communications?

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:49PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Sarah Palin's Extensive College Career

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah Palin

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:08PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I thought liberals disliked "trust fund babies", though.

It's your fellow conservatives who make the jibes about 'limousine' liberals.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:25PM
david52_gw

Limousine Conservatives just doesn't do it.

How about Elevator Cadillacs (plural) Conservatives?

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 12:22AM
labrea_gw

I love a good trust fund baby! Personally I've only known 2 a mother & son & they were both more to the left than I could ever be!
She had a great Fauve & American impressionist collection he was a disco baby & gay activist!

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
The President has vetoed the Keystone XL Pipeline Bill
Obama vetoes Keystone XL bill "Because this act...
momj47
Boris Nemtsov Assasinated
Shot a few days before he was to lead a peace March!...
labrea_gw
John McCain: "I’m Ashamed Of My Country "
Sen. John McCain said: “I’m ashamed of my country,...
dublinbay z6 (KS)
And now Gov. Walker - is it "pile on the President" week?
Gov. Scott Walker: ‘I don't know’ whether Obama...
momj47
This made me cry. So beautiful.
Jacob is beautiful. Wonderful letter, please read. Happy...
enmc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™