Palestine, finally

pnbrownNovember 30, 2012

So the UN recognized Palestine.

What do we think will be the effects?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

I'm too cynical to think anything on the ground will change. They will continue to kill each other.

I'm ashamed that Canada voted against recognizing Palestine.

And I am utterly horrified that Harper once again allowed John "Hulk SMASH!" Baird to open his mouth and embarrass this country.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 8:56AM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

From AP: Nine Nations Vote Against Palestinian UN Upgrade Voting "no" Thursday were Israel, the United States and Canada, joined by the Czech Republic, Panama and several Pacific island nations: Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru and Palau. The Pacific nations typically support the U.S. and Israel at the U.N. on key General Assembly resolutions.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:47AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

I fear our bully power is slipping away.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 10:31AM
haydayhayday

Israel, in my lifetime, which roughly coincides with Israel's lifetime, has gone from having the support of the world to having very little support in the world.

In just the past five or ten years, on this very forum (and its predecessors), I've seen a dramatic shift. I can remember times when anyone even questioning what was happening in Israel would have immediately brought out the intimating cries of "Anti-Semitic!!!".

Hay

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 11:41AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

I have nothing against Israel. This is more about the USA's stronghold on the Middle East, with support of its allies.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 11:57AM
chase_gw

HG.....I agree. I am ashamed of my country and the positron we have taken in this matter.

Harper is just such a wanna be American. Not in the cultural sense but he wishes he could be a "really big boy " in world politics like the American President is....well get over it! Time to go back to doing what we do really well as Canadians acting as mediators and moderates without an agenda.

Three more long years....ugh

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:35PM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

First of all, I'd like to know what you have against positrons... they happen to be my favourite particles.

Second, I'm quite pi$$ed at the chest thumping this idiot (and his pit bull) is doing right now.

Recalling diplomats? You dorks, how do you expect dialogue if you recall representatives?

Besides, do these morons really believe anyone CARES if Canada recalls representatives from Israel, West Bank or the UN? Nobody will even notice.

Yes, three more long years.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:53PM
chase_gw

HG, I use the Swype feature on my android and the results can be quite amusing.....and of course, given the position (whew , got it right this time) I took on the edit thread, ...there was no correcting it.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:14PM
jillinnj

No, no, you should edit it! Then certain people can wonder what awful thing you said that you had to take back ;-)

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:26PM
esh_ga

I have nothing against Israel but I believe that the Palestine nation deserves the right to be a nation just as Israel does.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:38PM
rob333

ditto esh!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:40PM
TxanGoddess

I don't think this will change much, except perhaps to temporarily boost the morale of the Palestinian people.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 5:08PM
jon_in_wessex(z8/9 UK)

And a day after (most) of the world welcomed Palestine, Israel signalled its intentions:

The Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has ordered the construction of thousands of new homes in Jewish settlements in the occupied territories in what will be widely interpreted as retaliation for the United Nations vote to recognise a Palestinian state on Thursday.

The Secretary of State will now ritually tell them they are being naughty.

Best wishes,
Jon

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 3:44AM
subtropix

We can hardy wait for a free Palestine state to join that panoply of enlightened, democratic, peaceful, and stable Islamic nations that are ever so tolerant of the rights of religious and sexual minorities, women, and non-believers.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
France warns Russia
France Warns Russia And Its Allies Not To Advance On...
momj47
A Cultural Cleansing
ISIS torched Mosul's library. "...books represent...
duluthinbloomz4
The President has vetoed the Keystone XL Pipeline Bill
Obama vetoes Keystone XL bill "Because this act...
momj47
Boris Nemtsov Assasinated
Shot a few days before he was to lead a peace March!...
labrea_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™