Democratic Caucus in the House

chase_gwNovember 14, 2012

The Democratic caucus in the House is made up of a majority of women and minorities. Evidently a first for any democratic country in the world although I have not verified that independently.

Quite remarkable and very reflective of the shifting demographics and eventual power base in the States.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47(7A)

I hope the Republican caucus is paying attention. It's mostly white men. And as O'Reilly whined the other night, they are not in the majority any more.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 11:12AM
esh_ga

I think it's great.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 12:27PM
jillinnj

It's about time!

Yes, I hope the Republicans are paying attention. On second thought, maybe I hope they are not...

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 12:40PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I think that is great news. Now I'm waiting for the day when when make up at least 52% of each House.

Kate

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 12:52PM
labrea_gw

The 113th Congress will be more representative of the United States from race to religion, and from gender to sexual orientation. It will look more like America with 4 new African American representatives, 10 new Latinos, 5 new Asian Americans and 24 women in the House or Senate.* It will believe more like America with the first two Hindu congresspeople, the first Buddhist senator, and the first non-theist to openly acknowledge her belief prior to getting elected. It will love more like America, with 4 new LGBT congresspeople or senators, including the first openly bisexual congresswoman and the first openly gay congressman of color. And it will be younger, with four new congressmen born in the 1980s.

Here is a link that might be useful: Think Progress

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 2:58PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

Now, maybe, just maybe, they can get something done, unlike the Democrats before them.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:11PM
rob333

Yes, that does sound like a shift. One we can really use. Won't it be fantastic! (I wrote the below first and then tried to compose myself)

I just got a mental image of the dem and rep caucuses (what is the plural?!) literally standing ready to fight hand-to-hand. Hardly a good image. HA! I dunno why. I'm having a hard day, but I don't know, maybe I need liquor? Or if hay and tobr were around they'd say dancing around manties (won't work for me!) would cheer me up.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:16PM
fouquieria(10b)

Now, maybe, just maybe, they can get something done, unlike the Democrats before them.

Well, at least I feel more comfortable about the future now that I don't have to worry about our war-loving, recession-loving brethren running havoc again.

-Ron-

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:33PM
lily316(z5PA)

I am loving every single moment of this historic time.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:45PM
duluthinbloomz4

As a side note - Angus King, Independent senator-elect from Maine, will caucus with the Democrats.

Per his Wiki page: King supports the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. He is also pro-choice on abortion.
King supports same-sex marriage, stating that it is "necessary to provide couples and their families with equal protection under the law."

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:59PM
labrea_gw

If they walked on water cured cancer some of yall would still be yapping!

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 4:04PM
Circus Peanut

Angus King, Independent senator-elect from Maine, will caucus with the Democrats.

Yes, and there are a lot of grumblings about it, although it was completely expected. What's an Independent to do? Without a caucus, apparently you have virtually no power at all? I need to learn more about that arcane system, as I imagine we Mainers will do as a matter of course over the next few years.

I'm curious what Bill V thought of King back when he was governor. The republicans ran a few halfhearted ads about King's supposed failed electricity-windmill project, but other than that folks seemed to accept him as a shoo-in from the get-go. (How's that for hyphen-mania?) Our bumbling teaparty governor is not pleased with the results of the elections, but oh well.

I don't know about King yet myself other than applauding the moustache choice. In any case, King's campaign headquarters is just a few blocks away from my house next to the local independent grocery, and his aides appear to be about as diverse as lily-white Maine can provide. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: King a liberal democrat per Republican party

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
More big pharma
"It has always seemed strange to me... the things...
don_socal
That Trip to Isreal
he trip was organized by the American Renewal Project,...
labrea_gw
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than you think
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than...
momj47
The Universe #2
Just starting up a second thread with mom47's last...
vgkg
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™