Red/blue states traffic fatality divide

sushipup1November 20, 2012

Another difference between red states and blue states? Yep, rate of traffic fatalities is highest in the red states and lowest in blue states, as determined by the recent election.

What reasons do you see for this?

Here is a link that might be useful: fatal traffic accidents

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

More "blue-hairs" in the red states is my instant answer.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 11:55AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

I have no idea, other than the suggested degree of regulation between freer societies of the Red States and the oppressed populations of the Blue States. For example, how many States have seatbelt laws and how well are they enforced?

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:03PM
sushipup1

There are similar divides in education and poverty levels, too.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:03PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

the suggested degree of regulation between freer societies of the Red States and the oppressed populations of the Blue States.

Are there differentials in maximum speed limits? I seem to remember demands from some states to repeal the federal 55MPH limit established by President Nixon. If I remember correctly, statistics proved that besides conserving fuel, the 55MPH limit saved lives - better chances of surviving an auto crash at 55MPH than at 65MPH.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:16PM
david52_gw

We need to break this down further - bumper stickers on the wrecked cars so we can break it down by who they vote for, and voter registration/license plate numbers.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:23PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

We need to break this down further. In Ohio, which is thought to be a blue state (for electoral votes only), 73 of 88 counties are consistently red. The majority of the red counties have low unemployment, low crime and great schools. The blue counties almost always represent high crime, high unemployment and pathetic schools.

Just the facts.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:36PM
marquest(z5 PA)

The blue counties almost always represent high crime, high unemployment and pathetic schools.

Almost is the key word. What is the ratio of population of the red vs blue. 5 in one area that is all good as you project vs 5,000 and 20 bad within that 5,000 would make a difference.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:57PM
rob333

Of all the people who eat carrots, all die (eventually). Therefore, carrots cause death.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 1:27PM
skywatcher(Tennessee 7)

Perhaps the blue states have more public transportation and fewer cars for wrecking.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 1:31PM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

Of all the people who eat carrots, all die (eventually). Therefore, carrots cause death.

Studies show 98% of people who have cancer have eaten tomatoes. Therefore, tomatoes cause cancer.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 1:39PM
ohiomom

I disagree with Rob and HG ... it is LIVER! Do not eat the liver, if someone puts it on your plate back slowly out of the room and run like the dickens !!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 1:41PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

BS...if you handle drain cleaner in CA and haven't washed your hands, you're most likely to die of cancer.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 5:18PM
rob333

But ohiomom, I was pointing out faulty logic. Yours is right on.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:08AM
lionheart_gw

"Studies show 98% of people who have cancer have eaten tomatoes. Therefore, tomatoes cause cancer"

Another study found that, in fatal accidents, 80% of the victims had consumed tomato products within the 72 hours preceding their accidents.

We need to outlaw this scourge.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:52AM
jlhug

NOOOOOOOOOOO! If you outlaw tomato products, there would be no pizza (except the ones without tomato sauce which just aren't as good as real pizza, imo). What would the world be without the traditional pizza with tomato sauce and pepperoni?

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:02AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Hey, outlawing the Red Menace will reduce pizza delivery my masses of speeding working poor, thus decreasing the death toll by accident but upping the survival rate and growing Obama voting population of illegal young non-whites of breeding age.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:09AM
rob333

now that's some interesting logic marshall. Y'all have me fully guffawing. I appreciate that!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:14AM
markjames

Knock on wood, we've never had a commercial driver, delivery driver, or service tech that have ever been involved in a fatal accident, although many have driven countless miles over the decades, not only on the job, but great distances to and from work during all sorts of bad winter weather.

As far as I know all of them eat tomatoes, plus many of them grow tomatoes. Coincidence? I think not!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:35AM
rob333

Tomatoes save lives!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:46AM
chisue

I'd follow up on skywatcher's suggestion about less public transportation contributing to this. Lots of big cities in the blue states. Poorer people may drive more older, less safe vehicles -- possibly on less safe roads.

More drug and alcohol use? (That IS a factor on Big Island of Hawaii, which has one of the highest rates of DUI traffic fatalities in the nation.)

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Indecent Exposure
Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365...
labrea_gw
Born in the Wild
I watched a TV show today that I had heard about and...
patriciae_gw
California displacing older American workers via H1-B Visas
What have California's middle class American workers...
adoptedbyhounds
Bibi's speech tomorrow
Are you planning on watching? I sure am!
ogrose_tx
William Stafford poems
“The Way It Is”: There’s a thread you follow....
marshallz11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™