The Southern Strategy worked

heri_clesNovember 17, 2012

More and more whites voted for Romney/against Obama in 2012, but it just wasn't enough. Romney accomplished what he wanted, increasing the white vote and ignoring minorities.

From 2008 to 2012, President Obama's share of the white vote dropped,

among white men, from 41% in 2008 to 35% in 2012 and

among white women, from 46% to 42%.

Regional results according to race are startling.

The percentage of whites who voted for Romney/against Obama in the deep South should give one pause. In Alabama , Mississippi, and in Louisiana, where some of this forum's leading Obama detractors reside, almost 9 out of 10 white voters cast their votes against President Obama/ for Romney.

Here is a link that might be useful: Race and the 2012 Election

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

But you know, heri, I could have guessed, quite accurately at that!--at those figures, based on past Republican/white/southern "performance."

Always good to have my "guesses" confirmed by the facts, however.

Yes, they have finally nearly perfected the "southern strategy." Took them long enough, but they are nearly there.

Of course, they lost the presidency along the way, didn't they.

Can't help it--that makes me smile. : )

Kate

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:15PM
jodik_gw

It's a strategy they, the GOP, have been cultivating for decades.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:20PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Now if we can finish the secede process and give them their wish... we will be a much more profitable country since they receive more government funds than they contribute.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:25PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

What I don't understand is that in forming policies for the Southern Strategy - an area not particularly rich in electoral college votes - the GOP risks losing voters in the swing states. No GOP candidate can be elected president based on the electoral votes available from the Confederacy states.

To counter this, we see the GOP reaching out to whites in non-Confederacy states - the narrative of Muslim, sharia, Kenyan, not-one-of us, "illegals" stealing your job - to cultivate the mindset outside of its geographical base... and still failing in the delegate-rich states.

Changing U.S. demographics will eventually render today's GOP obsolete.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:52PM
momj47(7A)

Well, since there will be fewer and fewer white men and women, it won't work in the future.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:55PM
chase_gw

One could argue that the Southern Strategy didn't work...it backfired big time.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:59PM
jillinnj

If the strategy was to win the southern white vote, it worked.

If the strategy was to win the Presidency...fail...big time.

That problem they have with math keeps cropping up, doesn't it. I guess they couldn't add up the electoral college votes in those states and realize it wouldn't give them a win.

I'm with Kate. Can't stop smiling.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:19PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I'm with Kate. Can't stop smiling.

and a Chuckle.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 3:07PM
labrea_gw

Wow who knew there were so many fiscal conservatives! LOL

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 4:29PM
heri_cles

If the strategy was to win the southern white vote, it worked.

The strategy was to increase the percentage of white voters and that worked in many States, not just in the Southern States.

"How could Mr. Romney have won this election? Because there are still seven times as many white as Hispanic voters, Mr. Romney would have earned much higher dividends courting the white vote than by increasing his Hispanic share. If Mr. Romney had won just 1.5 percent more of the white vote, he would have carried the popular vote, a feat that would have required an 11 percent increase in his share of the Hispanic vote.

Mr. Romney only needed to increase his share of the white vote in key swing states by a few percentage points to win"

Romney has stated that he believes that he lost because of minority voter turn-out. His campaign believed that young people and minorities would not turn out in high numbers to vote, and they were proven wrong.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:54AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Here is a link to a chart showing the religious affiliations of different voting age groups and the percentages of each won by the two candidates. The Republicans ought to be paying attention to the young and to the non-white religious vote.

Here is a link that might be useful: The End of the White Christian Strategy

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 10:29AM
marquest(z5 PA)

It is hard to sell the Republican message in the religious world. You have to start with the fundamental ideal of Christianity is love even your enemy.

When you have a message of voting against someone because of hate poor, hate just to hate you separate yourself from the true Christian world.

A good example was the Food Stamp President campaign. They thought that was a place to cause concern. The first thing as a true Christian is you feed the poor. You do not hate the poor for needing food stamps or the President for feeding the poor.

There were so many of those non-Christian ideas as something they thought as a negative that did not fit how you live your life as a Christian.

Think about it Christians do food basket, toy drives, collect funds, clothing for the poor. How can you use a Me, Myself, and I policy and expect a Christian to jump on a Satanic barn burning hayride? "I built this", "My money", etc.

If you followed the Nuns on the bus they lead you to the Democratic Convention where they spoke of love. If you followed the empty chair it lead you to the Republican Convention with empty non-Christian value speech.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:10PM
jillinnj

How can you use a Me, Myself, and I policy and expect a Christian to jump on a Satanic barn burning hayride?

Yet so many self-proclaimed Christians here jumped right on for the ride. Luckily for the rest of us, the ride ended in a train wreck.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:22PM
maddie_athome

Because the sane majority is exactly that.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:29PM
blfenton

You'll have to explain this to a dumb Canadian but, why would you be proud of the fact that you increased white vote but ignored minorities. All of those minorities, when added up together, are beginning to add up to a big number. Is it hatred, ignorance, fear of upsetting their beloved status quo, just what is the problem as they see it. I'm assuming that there are minorities in the Republican party, no?

And why would you belittle and be critical of a president who sees this changing face of America and addresses it and includes them. I'm assuming that if they are voting that they are American citizens or does Romney truly believe that they are "illegal aliens" all of whom managed to finagle their way through the system and vote illegally.

The Romney/Republican tirade and excuses for losing really are getting tiresome.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:42PM
jillinnj

Oh, but, blfenton, you are using logic. Something that has escaped the GOP for quite some time now.

They are just shocked by the changing demographics. Old habits of being critical and dismissive of minorities die hard.

We see it here everyday. Anyone spanish speaking is illegal and taking their money. Anyone who has less than them or needs a little help is just lazy and doesn't deserve help if it involves their money. On and on and on.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:55PM
fouquieria(10b)

I hate to bust everyone's bubble, but the Mountain/Plains states are whiter and far, far more conservative than the South. The only difference is that this region is less populous, so it doesn't seem to get as much air time. Also, there are less minorities in this region so it doesn't quite get the stigma of racial discrimination that the South does.

-Ron-

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
#TedCruzCampaignSlogans
Top Trending Topic on Twitter Come on, Vgkg! This is...
enmc
Water - the next oil
It's raining; that'll soften things up and take away...
duluthinbloomz4
The Infamous Tom Cotton...
A case of confusion? Or a case of general ignorance? You...
jodik_gw
Jeb prepared to be 3rd Bush to use Military in Iraq
This is from the article in the link But he has said...
enmc
Fill in the scenario...
If and when the 47 (interesting how that matches Romney's...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™