2020 -- USA the top petroleum producer

marshallz10(z9-10 CA)November 12, 2012

The USA is projected to be the world's largest petroleum producer by 2020. We are already in second place and might be the largest exporter of energy already.

Drill, Baby, DRILL, mother...s!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. To Become World's Largest Oil Producer, Exceeding Saudi Arabia, By 2020

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiomom

Yes frack it ... what's a few earthquakes, poisoned water and environmental waste in the scheme of things when the "bottom line" rules?

SMH

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:06PM
labrea_gw

Look at that Jump to 2014!
GEEZ with all that oil a-pumpin will gasoline prices come down or will we be exporting it all to China.
Maybe we could build 2 more refineries by then!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:20PM
pnbrown

From Marshall's link:

"Taking all new developments and policies into account, the world is still failing to put the global energy system onto a more sustainable path," the IEA said."

There's a surprise, huh? The world doesn't seem to know what it's doing. Anyway, even if the US were to become a net exporter of fossil fuels, it does't change the reality that high-grade crude petroleum passed peak world production a few years back.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 1:13PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

My source says 2017. And I thought and believed we were searching for alternate sources of energy dependency.

Oh well. I guess I'll go out and buy that new gasoline powered car.

Did you know that over 460 million gallons of refined fuel was burned in Pakistan, prior to reaching the Afghanistan border?

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 1:53PM
ohiomom

Brush we are still "talking bout" alternative energy, I mean it started in the 70's what is the rush :)

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 1:57PM
jodik_gw

2020... the projected tipping point from whence there is no return from the perils of global warming... interesting.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 6:28PM
frank_il

Sorry, I just double posted this. Pay no attention to my post.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:08PM
labrea_gw

Myths aside and industry attemot to unseat him according to recent bloomberg article

"Obama has made more acreage available to energy companies than any president since Ronald Reagan, and more drilling is taking place on federal land than at any time in history"
He started off one way & well actions speak louder than words.! However I do believe those subsidies are gone the way of The Dinosaurs! There are taxes coming & those companies will pass along those taxes.
There's also a wait & see will the war on coal come to pass & will it be a boon for T Boone Pickens & all the other frackers!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:12PM
labrea_gw

You would think with the lengthy mystical gasoline price posts there would be some slight interest from the crickets NAHHHH!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 11:41PM
pnbrown

You know what I find mysterious is what with supposedly every square foot of NA having been exhaustively searched by petroleum-company geologists, how is it that suddenly there is all this natural gas? Was most of it simply being burnt off from wells when it wasn't worth bothering with?

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 12:36PM
labrea_gw

It wasn't considered commercially worth while but the shale gas in NY state was known about in the mid 1800's and has been drilled in the Appalachians on and off for years.
When you had the crowd predicting $200 oil a few years back & marketers like T Boon Pickens going at it then The Appalachian Basin becomes (exicting?) profitable.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 9:44PM
Circus Peanut

And meanwhile, Centralia still burns ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Centralia PA

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:37PM
david52 Zone 6

Was most of it simply being burnt off from wells when it wasn't worth bothering with?

Yes, in the past, and you still see places, eg the Niger Delta, where they flare off the gas - you can see the Nigerian flares from outer space - they burn off enough to supply all of Western Europe.

What they're doing now is going after "tight gas" which is bound up in the shale. So they pump down 10's of thousands of gallons of water, sharp sand, and chemicals under incredible pressures and "frack" the shale, allowing the gas to escape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nigerian gas flares. They aren't very happy

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 11:45PM
jon_in_wessex(z8/9 UK)

America becoming self-sufficient in fuel will change the entire military and political balance of the World. No more need to protect Middle Eastern supplies with big threats and little wars. Military concentration will continue to shift toward Asia.

Sorry, but these considerations will outweigh any ecological or environmental concerns.

Best wishes
Jon

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:05AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

The US will not become self-sufficient in fuel just because it becomes the world's largest producer. We are not building enough refineries but continue to trade crude oil and LNGas in exchange for refined products. The price of these fuels is set in part elsewhere in the world, prices controlled by demand and reaction to levels of risk in the flow of these natural resources.

You are right, Jon, about shorting ecological and environmental concerns.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:08AM
heri_cles

Why is Keystone XL necessary if we are a world leader in oil production?

I'd like to see Canada build their own pipeline.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:21AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Psst, Heri, we don't necessarily need it but "jobs jobs jobs", especially hairdressers in the vast wastelands of Nebraska and other Red States of the high plains.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:28AM
More Discussions
Deserter - Bergdahl
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bowe-bergdahl-to-be-charged-with-desertion-his-attorney-says/ Finally...
paprikash
Watched a movie the other day.
Made me think and then base my quotes for the next...
don_socal
When median incomes are down 15% there is no 'economic recovery'
Wisconsin is #1 in the US for shrinking middle class...
Lena M
Progressives......
What exactly does that mean? It is a term oft used...
chase_gw
Curiouser and Curiouser
Iran Case Is So Secret It Can't Go On Some things are...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Sponsored Products
20" Sq. Decorative Pillow Insert
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
'Tatooine' Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$59.99 | zulily
elizabeth W Linen Hanger Sachet
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Carlotta Wine Bar
Grandin Road
Chelsea Home Furniture Nina Sectional Sofa - 662190-SEC
Hayneedle