Mucking-out the Murdoch press

jon_in_wessex(z8/9 UK)November 20, 2012

The Metropolitan police have arrested 52 people as part of Operation Elveden, including 21 journalists at the Sun. Among the public officials arrested are a member of the armed forces, a prison official, and police officers.

The tentacles of this mess reach ever closer to the Prime Minister. Emails, again - don't they ever learn?

Best wishes

Jon

ps I understand this won't be of much interest to Americans, but I thought I should record it :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Buying the news

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rob333

It interests me greatly. I think the ramifications will be farther reaching than merely the UK. I hope it'll be a wakeup call, but I won't hold my breath. Do you really think it'll reach the PM's office? That would really be something. A whole new level.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:01PM
marquest(z5 PA)

ps I understand this won't be of much interest to Americans, but I thought I should record it :)

But it does interest America. He has invaded our print major newspapers and airways with Fox and Friend and their problem of listening to these talking heads and taking what they say as TRUTH.

What was considered rag magazines, and TV entertainment in the past has become for some as true journalism. Jerry Springer believers. LOL

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:11PM
labrea_gw

I have posted a number of these on here in the last year about the ongoing shenanigans Big Yawn from the Rino & Fox Hunt club!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:44PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I'm very interested in the subject, and am waiting to see if any of these criminal activities will be discovered in the U.S.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:52PM
labrea_gw

Be Interesting when The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act comes in to play and I believe it will.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:19PM
jmc01

Jon, when this first blew up, I predicted here on HT that the BskyB deal would blow up. and it did. And I suggested that it would be the downfall of Murdoch. And it has been...for at least James. But also for the rest of the company in some ways.

I saw earlier today that Coulson and Brooks were charged with fraudulent payments.

Yes, i follow this.

Separately, we had UK visitors for a few weeks last month. They could not believe that Piers Morgan is on US TV every night now. When is he going to go down on this?

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:42PM
jon_in_wessex(z8/9 UK)

The interest is encouraging:)

The are several linked strands happening here at the same time. First and foremost, the Leveson Enquiry into the culture, practices and ethics of the press is due to report in a matter of days, and the press is running scared that it will recommend a statutory framework to replace the self-policing arrangements that have been proven so weak, corrupt and ineffectual.

However, it will be for the government, and in particular the Prime Minister to accept or reject the recommendations of the enquiry - because it was the Prime Minister who commissioned it and set its objectives. With a number of the most notorious culprits now established to be former employees (Coulson) and personal friends (Brooks) of David Cameron, the scope for embarrassment is wide.

The enquiry itself has been a fascinating thing to watch - and I did watch much of it. Conducted in public, live and streamed to the internet, witnesses included celebrity-victims of journalistic methods, senior policemen, politicians including Blair, Gordon Brown and Cameron, journalists and editors and owners of all the press groups including the Murdochs. All were quizzed by barristers (some of whom became quite celebrated themselves) in a courtroom atmosphere - I found it highly watchable and instructive. Should anyone wish to delve into how these things are done, the entire proceedings are still available at: http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/hearings/

The coverage was split into:

Module 1: The relationship between the press and the public and looks at phone-hacking and other potentially illegal behaviour.
Module 2: The relationships between the press and police and the extent to which that has operated in the public interest.
Module 3: The relationship between press and politicians.
Module 4: Recommendations for a more effective policy and regulation that supports the integrity and freedom of the press while encouraging the highest ethical standards.

But - how would it play out in the USA? You will know better than me. We have a different sort of 'Freedom of the Press'. As with most of our freedoms, they are tempered with responsibilities and can not be considered 'absolute', though to hear the Editors screeching you would think the First Amendment applied here and of course it doesn't. It has struck me as strange that our non-free press is so notoriously free, crusading and rides very close to the law (sometimes crossing the line), while your totally free press is so restrained by comparison - the one exception being the group owned by the same Australian crook as the worst cases here.

I would think that the Murdoch's will have cleverly restructured their concerns so as to minimise cross-infection from those parts of the English operation that will deemed illegal - as in Rebecca Brooks being director of News International but not of News Corp, etc. I am also sure that the corporate headquarters will remain in the US, where they will feel better protected by constitutional law.

Best wishes
Jon

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:42AM
maddie_athome

Ah Jon! You fancy yourself a (what we've dubbed) 'silencer thread' = sinks-like-a-rock-thread.

The big fear is that there will be proof that Fox-News is doing the same (or even worse). And indeed--does anyone really think they're an exception?

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 4:29AM
shaxhome

And he's not an Australian. Not any more. Deny, deny, deny!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 4:33AM
jon_in_wessex(z8/9 UK)

Apologies - I intended the pejorative word to be 'crook', not 'Australian' :)

Best wishes,
Jon

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:02AM
jmc01

That restructuring was announced in June and more came out when earnings were announced in August.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:41AM
More Discussions
Now THIS is a “hot topic”
.Better than a Rita’s water ice on 1st day of spring. Sorry...
Pidge
Ever wonder what is in those semis with the American flags on them?
Up to 15 different chemicals in 55-gallon drums. (These...
Lena M
Indiana - just plain old discrimination
Indiana House OKs controversial religious freedom bill And...
momj47
N.H. fourth-graders’ hawk bill veers into abortion debate
From the Granite State. More proof that these Legislators...
enmc
Deserter - Bergdahl
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bowe-bergdahl-to-be-charged-with-desertion-his-attorney-says/ Finally...
paprikash
Sponsored Products
Classic Lighting Corporation Garden Variety Two-Light Wall Sconce
$111.93 | LuxeDecor
Mercantile 26 3/4" Wide Vintage Bronze Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Botella 10 Bronze LED Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Amber-Frost Glass
$360.00 | Bellacor
Stella Multi Shag Rug (7'7 x 10'5)
Overstock.com
Bree Brushed Aluminum Two-Light Incandescent Wall Sconce with Satin White Glass
$450.00 | Bellacor