Government Employees

tishtoshnm Zone 6/NMNovember 14, 2012

In New Mexico over the past couple of years there have been varying attempts at government transparency. One of the ways people have hoped to achieve this is make employes names and salaries available on-line with the argument of keeping public employees accountable to tax-payers. In the past, if you wanted to know somebody's salary, you had to call the right agency to obtain it.

Are public employees also accountable to tax-payers or should they be answering to their bosses first? Do they not deserve a bit of privacy too?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

I do have an issue with publishing names and salaries. Couldn't they just post the job titles and salaries?

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 2:34PM
markjames

We have something similar on the See Through NY website.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 2:39PM
elvis

I'm a government employee. The pay for my job description is public record; no problem--I'm also a taxpayer, and like having the right to access the information about other government employees. The employees' names? i don't think that's necessary. Even though it's technically public record, it feels like an invasion of privacy.

Who would want their grandmother's name published along with her Social Security payment, or maybe a government pension? I would think there should be a modicum of discretion with personal information.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:09PM
jodik_gw

For once, I'm in agreement. It's not like people don't know who many of the public offices are held by, anyway. But still, occupation and salary for government employees should be a matter of public record... the tax payers pay those salaries.

A certain modicum of privacy, however transparent, still feels better than having none.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Born in the Wild
I watched a TV show today that I had heard about and...
patriciae_gw
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than you think
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than...
momj47
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
Pigs Fly . . . Or Try to Fly
California newspapers are proudly announcing that the...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Local (USA) is nothing if we can't compete internationally
I started to comment on the "Dinosaurs are bad"...
steve2416
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™