Six million lbs of explosives discovered in Louisiana

marshallz10(z9-10 CA)December 3, 2012

Doyline, LA is being evacuated after the discovery of illegally stored high explosives, some six million pounds, were discovered following an explosion in one of the outer storage sites. Holy Cow! Sacred Poop!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope this is not a Second Amendment issue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labrea_gw

Better that it was found now this way!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:51AM
jodik_gw

You do have to wonder at times, what does happen to all the unused items left over from war... or mining operations... or drilling, etc...

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:58AM
david52 Zone 6

When I was a kid, we used to hike up to the high altitude abandoned gold, silver, lead/zinc mines. Since they were only accessible by hoofing a few thousand vertical feet over rough terrain, few people ever went there. So we'd go up and scrounge around for mineral samples, old tools, etc. We'd often find old sticks of dynamite and blasting caps. Never blew anything up, though. I still have collection of a couple dozen old rail spikes of all different sizes from those mines.

/you know how glass turns blue in the sun over the years, and intact bottles are worth a small fortune to collectors? We used to find them by the dozen, and break 'em up for the h*ll of it.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:13AM
momj47(7A)

...........but it's legal to store ammunition, it's a second amendment right, isn't it????

You never know when you'll need 6 million pounds of explosives, after all.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:13AM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Explo Systems Explo Systems is a 7-year old, veteran-owned small business located on the former Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant (LAAP)

Explo's management has been demilitarizing / recovering explosives / propellant for over 15 years.

Explo has a unique, on-site capability for purifying valuable TNT from tritonal for reuse.

Explo is compliant with DOD safety regulations and uses only proven, environmentally-safe technologies in recycling operations

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:34PM
jodik_gw

So... what about their storage operations?

And...

This has nothing to do with 2nd Amendment rights... who in reason's name would require or use that magnitude of a particular explosive to hunt with or defend one's family with? Good grief!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 1:36PM
marquest(z5 PA)

That is crazy, There was a lot of people in danger that could have died for what purpose?

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 1:59PM
momj47(7A)

Did I forget the sarcasm emoticon?

Sorry, I thought it was obvious. Who in God's name would need six million tons of explosives for anything, except maybe a war.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 4:11PM
bill_vincent(Central Maine)

Cajuns had that stored for next 4th. :-)

And no, it's NOT covered by the 2nd amendment. In fact, explosives are highly illegal without the right permits and licenses which can only be obtained after documenting proper training and intense back ground check.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 9:51PM
bill_vincent(Central Maine)

If that 6 million pounds ever went off, they'd never have to worry about NOLA being flooded ever again. Simply create and aquaduct to that huge crater!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 9:59PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

freakin' frackin' fun

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:23PM
eibren(z6PA)

"Nobody can tell you what 6 million pounds of explosives would do if it went up," Edmondson said in a telephone interview. "And I don't want to find out."

This is a classic case of cost externalization.

Government will now be taking the actions a company like this should have been taking over the last 15 years, and taxpayers will be paying for the work.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:26PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Well, duh, the government/military procurement/logistics agencies had to have prior knowledge, allowing the company to acquire "decommissioned" shells and take over the decommissioned weapons station to extract tnt from the explosives. Local people must have had some employment with the company or other economic links to the operation. Suddenly everyone is struck dumb and claims myopia.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:55PM
labrea_gw

I hope they don't shut them down those are job opportunities being lost. Dismantling explosives is something that needs to be done can't just dump the crap in the Gulf like an oil clean up (sarcasm aside that stuff needed to be broken down & this was a company that was supposed to do it) Looks like they bit off more than they could chew maybe be they were in Korea looking for temporary guest workers to come to Louisiana to dismantle it. After all you can't let prisoners get their hands on the kind of material!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:49PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Some questions regarding Explo: Where was this material obtained? If from the military, why was this work outsourced in the first place. Shouldn't the military be keeping track of these explosives and seeing that they are stored and disposed of in a safe and environmentally-friendly (as much as possible) manner. If from law enforcement, perhaps there could be a cooperative arrangement where explosives are handled by goverment employees - state, county, or municipal.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:58PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

>Cajuns had that stored for next 4thI had the same thought.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 1:39AM
momj47(7A)

If they are supposed to be disposing these explosives, why aren't they? Six million pounds = 3,000 tons, that's still a lot of explosives to store.

Are they falling behind? It seems like they wouldn't have been raided if there wasn't a problem.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:02AM
demifloyd(8)

>Cajuns had that stored for next 4th*

Another apparent assumption that all of Louisiana is Cajun Country.

It is not.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:53AM
mrskjun(9)

yeah demi...but that would put some oomph in the bonfires on the levee this Christmas Eve lol. Papa Noel would surely find his way, and Gaston might end up as an alligator handbag lol.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 9:04AM
vgkg(Z-7)

Just one lightning strike away from KaBoom

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 9:32AM
demifloyd(8)

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 9:04

yeah demi...but that would put some oomph in the bonfires on the levee this Christmas Eve lol. Papa Noel would surely find his way, and Gaston might end up as an alligator handbag lol

"An' I hear him shout loud as a splashin' he go, "Merry Christmas to all 'til I saw you some mo'!"-J.B. Kling, Jr.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 9:39AM
labrea_gw

I guess no one hear the Presidents fair well Dick Luger speech about disassembling weapon by weapon bomb by bomb. (he was speaking about nuclear but the same applies)
I does take time & it can't be done like your cutting up chicken for market but it can't be handled this way either.
Pantex is a limited Liability Corp (Bechtel) that was decommissioning or may still be decommissioning NUKES in Texas.
This has to be done somewhere by some one but this kind of non supervised mess is ridiculous!

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:02AM
ohiomom

Posted by bill_vincent Central Maine (billvincent@hotmail.com) on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 21:51
Cajuns had that stored for next 4th. :-)

....and now we know what is on their Christmas Wish List: "a cartridge in a bare tree"

You are on a roll Bill :)

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
The Governor of Maine v. Stephen King
King - 1 LePage - 0 (IMO, the Governor is one of...
momj47
Watched a movie the other day.
Made me think and then base my quotes for the next...
don_socal
China wants it's Corrupt official Back
"China has provided a “priority” list to the...
labrea_gw
Indiana has HIV epidemic
Pence orders short-term needle exchange to combat HIV...
momj47
Sponsored Products
21 Light Chandelier -Burnished Rust
Bellacor
John James Audubon 'Louisiana Heron' Canvas Art
Overstock.com
The Memory Company 15 in. NCAA License Louisiana State Tigers Neon Wall Clock CO
$57.74 | Home Depot
Louisiana Black 36-inch Bath Vanity with 2 Doors and White Marble Top
Overstock.com
NCAA Tailgate Toss Cornhole Set - 5CFB-D-BWLGR
$76.75 | Hayneedle
IMPERIAL Billiard Lights 3-Light Black Louisiana State University Stained Glass
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™