one more reason to buy Joe Pye

anita55(zone 6 NY)August 11, 2010

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dapjwy

I saw my first two monarchs yesterday, then discovered two of their larva on my butterfly weed. I'm so excited to have attracted them.

I planted Joe-pye last year, but only have a single plant so far. I'm sure it will spread and I can collect and plant the seed too.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Native Backyard

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 9:15AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Love that plant! Nice pic BTW.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 10:47AM
gibby1(5a)

I have for years used joe pye in several designs with great success. It has because of its height been used at the rear of mixed borders and perennial beds. In recent years I have been cutting it back by half in late spring early summer. The result is a smaller more florified version. I also get it to spread faster and colonize an area by bending over a few stems at the time of cutback and burry them under the mulch. I have only found this to be true with Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium purpureum) Not E.rugosum or E. maculatum

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 4:46PM
dapjwy

gibby1,

I have often thought of cutting back some of the taller natives to create a bushier, shorter plant. I don't grow mums, but always heard they should be cut back and wanted to try it with the taller natives.

My idea has always been to mow an area of meadow early spring, then mow (high) only the front half a week or two later, then just mow (high) the front 1/4...I'm hoping to create a layered look with taller plants in the back (or center if mowed on both sides) so it looks more tidy from the road. As I add more and more natives, now that I have land, I'll see how my plan works.

I had never thought of bending and burying a stem of Joe Pye, thanks for the suggestion. I only have one plant so far and hope to spread it. Have they rooted well for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: A Native Backyard

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 7:56PM
arleigh_b

I have both Joe-Pye Weed and Swamp Milkweed growing next to each other. The Monarch has been staying on the Swamp Milkweed. I also have a little Butterfly Milkweed, but I have not yet seen the Monarch on it.

My Joe-Pye Weed is fairly short - not like the seven to nine foot plant I had last year. The tall one did not grow back, and I planted two new ones. Perhaps they are a different variety.

I see that GardenWed does not allow me to enter my Yahoo Group URL. Guess they have been having some problems with spammers.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 11:53AM
terryr(z5a IL)

Here's another reason...

I don't remember which joe-pye weed I have. I know I have E. purpureum. I think the other is E.rugosum. Shorter, light pink. They reseed all over the place. I'm forever digging them up and giving away plants.

Monarchs have been here all season. I have cats out on the butterfly weed again now. I was surprised to read that people haven't been seeing them.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 12:43PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

E. rugosum is white snakeroot. Its white and is very common in my area.

E. maculatum or E. fistulosum (Tall JPW) are the other common joe pye's, besides E. purpureum.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™