Hosta 'Scarlet Ribbons' flower - astounding!

hostahillbilly(4)September 6, 2012

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tepelus z6a SW MI

That is a nice flower.

Karen

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:16AM
sidney1515

Ooooo. . .enjoying the flower pictures! Thank you

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:26AM
hostaLes(5)

HH-You're touching my heart. I may rub someone the wrong way with what I am about to say, but I think hosta flowers rival orchids in beauty and variety as among the finest of all. All one has to do is get down on all fours and still lean over, usually, to see them. If our member brothers and sisters don't do this they should. Or like our "Potheads" probably do, just lift them up to eyelevel and drink in their treasures.

I sadly say this is quite hard for me to do right now or I would have been taking pics of mine all sumer. Getting there though! A couple of days ago, for the first time since my fall in March, I'd gotten down on hands and knees and planted two Heuchera that have been in pots all season.

So your pics are filling in the void and I thank you. I hope many other 'holics will pitch in.

As soon as I find my ventricosa shots from last year I will.

Les

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:41AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

One thing to do is yoc can use the hair clips that orchid growers do to hold the scape where you want it. In my case, I attach the clip to the metal name tags for the hosta. How can butterflies get to the throat of the bloom if it is down among the leaves. Just a little help.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:27AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

One thing to do is yoc can use the hair clips that orchid growers do to hold the scape where you want it. In my case, I attach the clip to the metal name tags for the hosta. How can butterflies get to the throat of the bloom if it is down among the leaves. Just a little help.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 11:31AM
don_in_colorado

Wow! That's a fantastic Hosta flower! That 'Scarlet Ribbons' really goes above and beyond for blooms...I'm pleasantly shocked...HostaLes, I must admit, at first seeing this pic, the first flower that came into my head was 'Orchid'...Thanks for posting this, Hostahillbilly...I assume this is your plant?

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 4:25AM
hostahillbilly(4)

Yes, Don, this pic is from a plant here,

hh

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Dragon tail HOSTA?....
Now that you've opened this thread you may as well...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
My New Potting Media Experiment
Last summer I started a thread about using Lady Bug...
santamiller
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™