glass blocks

deener43(5b)January 3, 2004

How do I make a hole in the glass blocks that are used for walls. I want to decoupage a pic on it, but dont know where or how to put the hole in it. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamabirrd(z5/6 PA)

My husband is a brick and block layer and he says that because it is glass it may be hard for someone inexperienced. You may want to call a local glass shop or look into getting a drill-bit designed for the job. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Bookmark   January 6, 2004 at 2:30PM
creativemom

They were going crazy with them over at the HGTV site...also try posting over on Crafts & Decorations on the "other side" at That Home Site....

Here is a link that might be useful: Crafts and Decorations - THS

Bookmark   January 12, 2004 at 3:11PM
shibby1

HOW TO DRILL GLASS: Get a piece of steel wire and file to shape of drill. This must be tempered as follows: Heat the end of the drill on a flame until it is dull red, then place it in metallic mercury. This drill, tempered in this manner will bore through glass as easily as through soft metal. When using in glass, always use oil of turpentine with a little camphor added to lubricate the drill. As you drill, be careful not to drill clear through from one side as you will break the glass this way. Drill partly, or almost through, then start from the opposite side and finish the hole. Or, if you cannot do this, as when you are drilling bottles, etc.. fill this bottle with water or place the glass in water. CAUTION: When you make the drill, do not make the cutting edges so sharp or too acute. The drill will cut slowly but you will have better holes with less breakage.

....or a diamond cutter

Very good glass block site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Suburban Glass Block

Bookmark   June 20, 2004 at 12:36AM
glassblockoutlet

For more glass block answers try posting your question on this glass blocks forum. Currently there are discussions about lighting glass blocks and which is the best fixing system for building a glass block design in the garden.

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 8:39AM
Linda3(9)

I have made holes in glass blocks and filled them with white christmas lights then added bows to make them look like a lighted up christmas present. You need to go to your local hardware store, such as Home Depot, and buy a glass drill bit. I think I paid about $12. for one and drilled the holes in the glass blocks. Take it slow and don't try to press too hard or the block might break. I also put some oil, such as kerosene oil on the tip and around in the hole to keep it drilling smooth. I make stained glass and there is nothing to it. Just be patient and it will make a nice hole the size you need.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 4:46PM
Rimma

The best thing to drill glass block is diamond plated core drill bits. They are available in many sizes from 3/16 all the way to 6'. For smoother drilling it helps to use diamond tool coolant. The best selection I found is at www.technologylk.com

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 9:46PM
crazymama(Mi)

Go to Harbor Freight they are alot cheaper. I bought the set that drills holes large enough for a clip-in light. It's much easier to replace one bulb than pulling a string of lights out that little hole.

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 7:53PM
LindsayMK

I just drilled 15 glass blocks for the first time to use as gifts. While I drilled, someone else sprayed water on the drill bit to keep it cool. Well, now the insides are dirty and I've tryed to wash out - no luck. Any suggestions???

thanks!!

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 7:55PM
karmahappytoes

Rimma, gave great instructions. Some of the glass block places already have them drilled or you can ask them to do it for a fee. Our out here will do them and they also have some that are vases that work great too.
LindsayMK depends on the hole, wouldn't a bottle brush work? That is what I used to clean ours out.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 7:39PM
danbell78

Where do you typically find the glass blocks for these projects?

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 10:07PM
swifttrack

If you are looking to install and even light glass blocks, check out this web site. www.swifttrack.com

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 1:19PM
sam27249

How do you get the glue stuff from the sides of the glass blocks? There has to be a faster way than a paint scrapper and acetone or xylol???

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 5:53PM
cobra1

I used a
back and Decker 1/2 inch glass and ceramic drill bit. It took me all of 2 minutes to drill a hole in the side of the block. I used compressed air to blow the dust out. A pipe cleaner or a wire with cotton on the end should clean the little dust that was left.

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 4:53PM
debrab

Where do you buy the glass blocks ? And can you get different sizes? Thank you in advance.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 9:52PM
mrglassblock

Hello, I am the Marketing Director for the Glass Block Supply Company, we sell and ship case quantity 5/8'
pre-drilled glass block. Many sizes and patterns.

Call 1-800-225-1404 to order. Ask for John.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 8:36AM
jdla

Check out http://www.accentbuildingproducts.com/cgi-bin/accent/glassblocks/predrilled.html
They have the predrilled blocks for sale online in a bunch of sizes.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 4:19PM
evan_p

After breaking 2 out of 3 blocks using the spear shaped drill bit I did a little research. The spear shaped drill does not work!!! I went to Harbor Freight and bought their cylindrical drill bit (package comes with two bits - 7/16th and 3/4th inch). Using a drill press and a little spray bottle to keep the bit lubricated, I drilled 10 block in about 20 minutes using the 7/16th inch bit - large enough to push the Christmas lights through. I rinsed out the inside and got the glass core out and was done with them all in less than 45 minutes and not one broke in the process.

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 5:23PM
maggy-007

How do I get in touch with jdla, he says he can drill and ship glass blocks,,,I tired his posted site, but got nowhere

Maggy

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 7:21PM
sunshine_funshine

Bumping to see if anyone has any new info. on finding glass blocks. Can't find them sold retail locally. Any suggestions. Would prefer not to pay shipping.

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 2:06PM
kimh1968

I'm an independent demonstrator for a company called Uppercase Living. We sell beautiful, easy to apply vinyl expressions for glass blocks (or any smooth surface including the walls in your home, but we have a section dedicated to glass blocks) that look hand-painted. Check it out by registering at www.uppercaseliving.com and entering Demonstrator ID# 950002 and Token: Hoeven. It's awesome!!

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 11:18AM
ringaroundtherosie

Hi,

Check out the recent Glass Blocks post on the Crafts and Decorations Forum. I recently posted instructions on how to drill a hole in glass blocks, too. My husband broke several before he figured it out. Also tells how to clean the tacky stuff off the sides of the glass block.

Rosie

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 12:36AM
jdla

Maggy,
Sorry to hear you didn't get anywhere from my original post. On this page http://www.accentbuildingproducts.com/cgi-bin/accent/glassblocks/predrilled.html you will see a list of all the styles and sizes of glass blocks available predrilled. All the items on that particular page are pre-drilled and they come in cases (the number per case is listed). If you need help with ordering you could always call customer service. 800-237-7470 I hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Pre-drilled Glass Block

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 12:19PM
mgrant1108

Does anyone know what size light strand I need to buy to put inside of a glass block? Thanks

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 12:21AM
veronica_detachabledecals_com

You can now view the Uppercase Living catalog without having to register! Check out my website for our decorative vinyl lettering and graphics- we have hundreds of predesigned products and you can customized lettering as well in over 30 colors and over 50 fonts! http://veronica.uppercaseliving.net

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 7:04PM
afforablevinyl

Check out our website at: DecoLetters. We have affordable wall lettering. We also can do custom designs for your glass blocks and wood signs.Also I would look into seeing if they have acrylic blocks. I have heard they are easier to drill.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 12:48AM
Mk_brittanylm_gmail_com

You can get the blocks at home depot

Bookmark   December 15, 2010 at 8:55PM
cstokes_comcast_net

During the Chrismas rush we drilled hundreds of holes for our customers. We used our drill press and diamond tip bits. The key is to use water to cool the bit every so often. Don't apply thr water while the drill is still on to prevent water from getting inside the block.

Here is a link that might be useful: big blocks glass

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 8:00AM
havoc58h_aol_com

I dug up a glass block it measures 5/6/3 inches its scratched up. How do I make it smooth?

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
betta fish
I am new to betta fish. I have two large vases with...
Revelbioinvestigator
4in Plastic Seed Pot Ideas?
Hi there! Earlier today I went and picked up 4(!!!)...
juliemaye
anyone know how to make plastic spoon roses
hello would like some info on how to make plastic spoon...
zinnia_blooms
Soup Can Label
I found a get well soup can label on a web search that...
JacobyLucy
Cedar garden beds
Any ideas for preventing cedar garden beds from cracking?...
RGBs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™