what to do with old shutters

rwtwtch(nh z6)February 16, 2004

I have alot of old painted shutters that I have been saving I need to do something with them...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamabirrd(z5/6 PA)

I'd gladly take them off your hands, lol. I have seen them used in many different ways. With a couple of hinges, they can be attached to make a screen. Or they can be simply hung on a fence, wall, etc. to add interest. Just leaning behind a grouping of planters also looks nice. Shapes can be cut out using a jigsaw. I especially like star and moon cut-outs. I have seen an old mirror hung on a fence with shutters on each side. That looks real cute and is something i'd like to do on my fence. If they are "old-looking", they would be nice added to a grouping of antiques such as watering cans, wash tubs, or wooden boxes.

Bookmark   February 18, 2004 at 3:47PM
CindyBelleZ6NJ(z6NJ)

I have seen them hinged together so you have four sides-and a big square-then attached top and bottom to planks of wood, painted, voila, table. You could add little sheves inside if you let the part with the hinge open and make it into a CD holder, if you do a search on HGTV Decorating Cents I think there are instructions. You could make them into so many things, planters, framing an old window on either side as a decoration, tables-cut two to make the side supports, use L brakets to attach a long one for the top, and add a piece of plexi or glass on top with those little bumper things. Have fun.

Bookmark   February 21, 2004 at 6:10PM
fancyfree(AR)

Does anyone know if there are any old shutters sites to look at? I have alot of shutters, and dont know what to do with them.

Bookmark   March 6, 2004 at 11:02AM
leeinlonsdale(5)

Old shutters are wonderful in the garden. Last summer i hinged together 4 shutters and used them as a back drop for a garden to cover up my ugly oil tank. I hung some wrought iron candle holders on them (from the buck store) and they looked wonderful on summer evenings when i lit the candles. I also placed an old ladder back chair with the seat out of it and a planter in it in front of it for a little more stability. I also have one with no centre flaps in it and am going to put dowels in every other hole and hang a quilt on it or use it for a magazine rack.

Bookmark   April 14, 2004 at 9:52PM
tommy33mac

Here is a great little shelf on ebay that is custom made.

Here is a link that might be useful: shutter shelf

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 4:15PM
grannyicu

I have a picture that I would share what
I have done with mine. But I don't know how to post pictures here.I have painted on mine, a snowman.
oh i did it yahooooooooooooooo

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 2:26PM
Cheri_C(z5OH)

Here's a site that has some neat ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: shutter ideas

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Painted & Sealed Terra Cotta pots not drying
Ok, so I painted some terra Cotta pots(picture), used...
Noteybook
green house in winter?
Hi all, im a newcomer to the greenhouse community and...
rookiegrow
preserving large amaryllis flowers,=how?
Where can I learn to preserve not press large amaryllis...
amaryllisstudygroup
Soup Can Label
I found a get well soup can label on a web search that...
JacobyLucy
anyone know how to make plastic spoon roses
hello would like some info on how to make plastic spoon...
zinnia_blooms
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™