Connecting clay pots for 'people'

cheyjohn_z5(6)April 27, 2005

I know about the Bag of Bones, but even if I could afford those, I tend to like to do this with what I have on hand. I made a pot person last year, and used rope with knots tied inside each pot, but doing the knots was a pain and it wasn't as sturdy as what I wanted. I do want to be able to move the limbs for posing, but thought I would see what everyone else used to make the pot people/crafts.

Chey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kansasgail(z6 KS)

I made a clay pot earthworm with my grandchildren and used copper plumbing tubing. I just used pliers to pinch the tubing between the pots, after I got them into position. If the tubing isn't round, the pot can't move. It was quick, easy and it worked. :-)

Gaila

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 2:52AM
debraintexas(z7TX)

I made a pot person and he is still in good form after at least 3-4 years. He is poised sitting on an old (broken) kitchen chair. He sits in my herb garden and his name is Herbie. I didn't really know what I was doing when I made him, but it worked. I used wire to hold the pots together and kept if from sliding thru the pot holes by wrapping the wire around approximately one-inch pieces of dowel rod which I cut up.

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 9:19AM
suibhan

Hi Chey: I put mine together with all-thread rod,great big washers & nuts. I believe it was 1/2" size rod. I cut milk cartons to washer size to make a cushion between the clay pot & metal washer. The all-thread can be purchases at a hardware store. It comes in 3' lengths. You can cut the rod to any size you want. My pot man sits on an old slat yard bench with wrought iron sides. I used a length of rod to go through my guy & the bench & jam into the ground to support him.

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 10:43AM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

Thanks for the ideas! I have the end of a tubular bunkbed frame that I am thinking could be a "swingset" for a Pot Person..... now to get started on him. :)

Chey

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 9:51AM
    Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 10:06PM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

I will definitely check out the links. I love to find things to do with clay pots, not just people! Thanks everyone, so very much for all of your help!

Chey

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 7:30AM
More Discussions
betta fish
I am new to betta fish. I have two large vases with...
Revelbioinvestigator
HGTV is closing on Nov. 4th
They are looking for a new place to "meet"...
grandma_bonnie
planted flower in garden.
today i planted a different types of flower in my garden...
john_31
anyone know how to make plastic spoon roses
hello would like some info on how to make plastic spoon...
zinnia_blooms
preserving large amaryllis flowers,=how?
Where can I learn to preserve not press large amaryllis...
amaryllisstudygroup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™