garden chimes

babanna(z5 NY)June 2, 2004

Hi all! I am thinking of making some garden chimes out of some old silverware I have (I have a brown bag full each of spoons, knives, forks...). I would like to possibly make a really big one or long one or lots of them......

Got any ideas? I thought this would be a great project to start this week maybe or at least this summer and eliminate some of my drawer clutter at the same time.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babanna(z5 NY)

found a site hope this helps anyone else
http://www.craftygal.com/archives/401/table401.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: windchimes

Bookmark   June 3, 2004 at 8:26AM
Lynn65(z10CA)

I use old samovars, old metal teapots or any metal container that you like. I hang it upside down and drill holes around the opening for the wire or monofilament to go through and add the silverware.

Bookmark   June 3, 2004 at 12:45PM
Kathy_in_Delaware

You could use a piece of a branch to drill holes to hang from, or if you could find a large metal plate you could turn that upside down and use it as well.
To hang I used a small wooden block from the craft store screwed into the bottom of my small plate then screwed in a eye hook to hang from the top of the block.

Bookmark   June 4, 2004 at 8:32AM
FireFightersMoM(Z6OR)

Years ago the fad was making them with old colored china...I will try to explain.
1. They took a plate and drilled a hole at the top.
2. Drill 4-5 holes at the bottom...for the fishing line.
3. Drilled holes in the silverware..depending on which you preferred...top or bottom...and then attached

Another way was to drill a hole in the middle of the plate...and then wholes all the way around to hold the fishing line and silverware.

Hope that gives you a picture. I have found drilling it glass like that fairly easy..freeze the plate first....

Bookmark   June 6, 2004 at 12:36AM
babanna(z5 NY)

That's great! Thank you. I'm cleaning out my cupboards and drawers...hence my getting rid of the old silverware I'd been saving for a outdoor party or something I just might need extra settings for...
I think I still have some mismatched china and whatnots...have to look. Thank you.

Bookmark   June 6, 2004 at 1:09AM
sunnyfl

Hi Firefighther,
I know lots of folks try to drill plates, cups, etc. Just wondering why you suggested "freezing" the plates before drilling? Is there a special bit, other than the diamond, masonary that most use when drilling glass?

Thanks,
Mary Ann

Bookmark   June 9, 2004 at 9:13PM
fabridam(Z5 NY)

Try this article on making silverware wind chimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silverware chimes

Bookmark   June 24, 2004 at 10:54AM
pcote(z2)

I made one and used a old copper kettle. I hung the silverware from that. I used a pie cutter in the middle. I put 8 pieces of silverware around.

Bookmark   June 24, 2004 at 7:38PM
Craftybrat(z7)

I have tried to drill old stainless steel silverware ....@#$%!!!! Does anyone have any idea how to do that.?

Bookmark   July 23, 2004 at 11:29AM
fabridam(Z5 NY)

Stainless steel is usually a very hard metal. You need a sharp, hard drill bit such as carbide. Use a center punch to put a small dent where you want to drill so the bit doesn't wander. If you have a hard time denting the metal with a sharp center punch, then you know you have a hard metal. A drill press will make the job a little easier but they cost $150 and up.

Bookmark   July 28, 2004 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Soup Can Label
I found a get well soup can label on a web search that...
JacobyLucy
preserving large amaryllis flowers,=how?
Where can I learn to preserve not press large amaryllis...
amaryllisstudygroup
4in Plastic Seed Pot Ideas?
Hi there! Earlier today I went and picked up 4(!!!)...
juliemaye
Bird Seed Ornaments
I made 2 batches of bird seed ornaments this weekend....
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Terracotta pots stuck together
I have two large tarracotta pots that have become stuck...
thumpergirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™